Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone did FAA CPL in US recently?

I can confirm that you keep the 61.75.
It’s my case when I pass my CPL
Kept it also when it was upgraded to an ATP

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

I’m getting that done in the US right now (I live here).
- The DPE told me the IR added to a piggy-back PPL will be added to a CPL as if you had a US PPL/IR
- You’re fine with the L1 (at least for part 61 training, not sure about part 141)
- No TSA for the CPL as others have stated
- If you’re in the NYC area, I can recommend an independent CFII which means part 61 training
- I took both IR and CPL written using GoldMethod, you get the certificate stating you went through ground school. There used to be a test centre in Manhattan but it’s been closed for a while so the closest one is now in Queens

KHPN, LFBE, EGKB, United States

Thanks Xavierde, really helpful, it will be in NYC, so I will ping when around

Good luck with yours !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote (I’m on a phone, cannot quote):

My 2006 FAA IR writeup is here and much of it will still be up to date.

That’s most likely not the case, as the oral and practical tests have gone scenario based since then. I strongly recommend checking the current (!) ACS for any FAA license.

Can also confirm that the CPL does not require TSA approval.

Most of the article is general strategy and that should mostly apply.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Can also confirm that the CPL does not require TSA approval.

That is not correct. A security threat assessment is required for the initial standard pilot certificate. See TSA interpretation 05 Jan 2005, penultimate document on the second page, under rulemaking docket no. TSA-2004-19147 (folder link, document link).

From the FAQ on the TSA AFSP website for the question “When is a flight student exempt from the requirement to undergo a TSA security threat assessment?”:

• Commercial Pilot License rating is exempt only if the candidate holds an FAA stand-alone Pilot certificate.
  • Airline Transport Pilot License rating is exempt only if the candidate holds an FAA stand-alone Pilot certificate.
  • Certified Flight Instructor rating is exempt only if the candidate holds an FAA stand-alone Pilot certificate.
  • Practical Tests (Check rides) are exempt. Check rides are not viewed as part of a training event (the candidate already received the training prior to initiating a practical test).
  • U.S. Department of Defense Endorsements
  • Aliens who have been endorsed by the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) are exempt from the TSA security threat assessment. To verify that the alien has been endorsed by the U.S. DOD, a DOD attaché sends an electronic notification to the flight training provider through the AFSP online portal.

The DOD attaché must log on to the TSA online portal, create an online account, and submit the relevant training information. AFSP automatically sends the notification to the provider and the DOD attaché for their records.

This clarification is available on page 56328 in the Interim Final Rule at IFR_Alien_Pilot.pdf.

• Ultralight Aircraft
    Flight training in the operation of airships, balloons, and gliders are exempted from the TSA security threat assessment. This clarification is available at TSA-2004-19147-0324.pdf
  • Unmanned Aircraft System
    Training in the operation of unmanned aircraft systems, commonly known as drones, is currently exempted from the requirements of this regulation.
  • Demonstration and familiarization flights
    Demonstration flights for marketing purposes and familiarization flights (also called “intro” or “discovery” flights) also are exempted from the requirements of this regulation.

This clarification is available on page 56329 in the Interim Final Rule at IFR_Alien_Pilot.pdf

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 24 Jan 12:50
London, United Kingdom

And then when you try to create a new application

If you want to have something in written, you could email TSA.

Last Edited by xavierde at 24 Jan 14:33

One thing I would get ahead of time is a fresh verification of your foreign licence. It shouldn’t matter because you have your FAA part-65 but I’ve been asked for one for the IR.

xavierde, none of that contradicts the requirement for an alien to undergo a TSA STA before receiving flight training for a US commercial (or airline transport) pilot certificate when no US standard private (or commercial) pilot certificate is held. It is unfortunate that the AFSP guidance material is not clearer on this point however it is explicitly addressed in the FAQ which I quoted above.

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message