Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Decision making and stress in GA

Hi all,

just stumbled across this article. If this is discussed already elsewhere, please delete.

Study suggests many general aviation pilots downplay the impact of stress on flight safety

local copy

LEBL, Spain

I would argue GA flying, particularly cross-country VFR flying in the UK (the pilots consulted in that article were UK-based), is the most stressful type of flying there is (aside from military war-time flying or certain aerial works such as fire-fighting, crop dusting etc.).

Absolutely everything relies on the pilot as PIC, with no one to help him in most cases. If you are lucky you could get a radar service but this is not something to rely on due to common issues of controller overload or radar range at low altitudes.

Then the UK is particularly “hostile” to GA pilots in two important ways: weather and airspace structure. A third way is also VFR traffic density, which is high.
The first issue is a concern everywhere in the world, but the UK is notorious for bad VFR weather: low cloud ceilings, low freezing levels, strong gusting winds etc. Weather also changes very rapidly so it’s difficult to make a “go” decision for a relatively long cross-country flight. The chances of having 2 or more consecutive VFR days for cross-country flying out of base are very low. Chance of a given day being VFR flyable within 100 NM of base could be not more than 50% in the summer and not more than 30% in the winter (this current wintes even less than 30…), as my own personal guess based on anecdotal experience.
The airspace structure in the UK is very particular, particularly in the South-East of the country where flying without a moving map is reckless no matter how much instructors and examiners insist on students having to train and fly using WW2 methods.
Traffic density means crowded skies through the narrow VFR gaps between Controlled Airspace, as well as crowded traffic circuits in mostly uncontrolled airfields where it’s not uncommon to have 4 or more airplanes in the ATZ at a given time. This also hugely increases stress because one has to not only pay attention for what they are doing but for what everyone else is doing.

Finally, all of the above coupled to the fact that GA pilots are usually low hours and low experience, they have the least amount of tools and resources to confront stressful situations which in many cases will be new to them.

So yes, GA flying can be very stressful.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 25 Jan 11:39
EDDW, Germany

I’d have given up if I found it stressful.
Thinks: maybe that’s why so many give up after getting their PPL.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

There was a time I found it stressful.

but when we first drove a car, it seemed stressful.

I would used another word – challenging. Single pilot aviation is challenging. Relative to other activities it involves lots of disciplines and thought process, and mostly we need to act independently.

I recall reading that single pilot IFR in IMC without an autopilot is one of the most challenging things we do. It most certainly is jolly hard work and most people will feel reasonably drained after an hour or two because the brain is working hard. It is also very satisfying.

We therefore learn to manage the challenges, develop our comfort zones, and within those personal to each of us, then we arent especially stressed. Move outside those zones, and the stress inevitably increases.

Maoraigh wrote:

I’d have given up if I found it stressful.
Thinks: maybe that’s why so many give up after getting their PPL.

If I’d have done my PPL in UK, I would have given up a long time ago. What gets my goat is the attitude of some airspace owners – Bristol Intergalactic airport gets my vote for being the worst in terms of offering transits of their airspace and / or services OCAS – I recall flying from Kemble and wanting to transit their Class D, I was asked to circle OCAS to provide separation for CAT coming in so I did, only for a DA40 to descend over the top of me as it dived to get underneath the Class D shelf. I asked the controller why he’d not warned me about the traffic…..

’You’re on a basic service……" I wouldn’t mind but the inconsistency is incredible – fly 20 miles west, and you come across Cardiff who can’t be more accommodating, offering traffic info even if you’re on a basic service. The issue then becomes that people flying with those sort of service offerings believe that they will always receive such warnings – until they don’t.

That you can get (significantly) better service elsewhere is the only reason I still persevere with flying, if I had to put up with the poor airspace availability and VFR choke points, I’d have thought it’s not worth the hassle.

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 – I agree. I suppose we adapt to local ways, but this does not mean they are acceptable. On the whole GA in the UK is treated as second class citizens not helped by the lack of support from our Regulator. You learn to use the sytem to your advantage as best you can, but this should not be.

Unfortunately there are a lot of the old brigade around that simply dont get it either.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 25 Jan 21:23

Then the UK is particularly “hostile” to GA pilots in two important ways: weather and airspace structure. A third way is also VFR traffic density, which is high.

To some extent that may be a subjective thing. Not to say those perceptions are any less real, but I really don’t recognise any of them while flying in Northern Britain with occasional trips to the Home Counties and beyond.

Hereabouts we often have stunning winter VMC with visibility from Ben Nevis to Ailsa Craig, our Class G airspace reaches well above any flight levels attainable by my Mousquetaire and we’re on first name terms with friendly and attentive local FISOs.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

To some extent that may be a subjective thing. Not to say those perceptions are any less real, but I really don’t recognise any of them while flying in Northern Britain with occasional trips to the Home Counties and beyond.

Hereabouts we often have stunning winter VMC with visibility from Ben Nevis to Ailsa Craig, our Class G airspace reaches well above any flight levels attainable by my Mousquetaire and we’re on first name terms with friendly and attentive local FISOs.

Fair comment, and I would agree that my aviation up North has been met with equally friendly and helpful air traffic.

In fact on the whole the UK isnt too bad, but there has for a long time been a culture where GA is considered a second class citizen to CAT, especially in areas where the airspace is busier. I always contrast this with my experience in the States where I have literally never felt this was the case.

It can be quite subtle and it can be blatant. There has been regular crticism of Bristol’s “attitude” to GA for example, and some long disucssions in which Bristol has put forward various excuses as to their traffic density and controller work load. However I have personally witnessed AT comms which were at best dismissive and unhelpful.

Most GA pilots are understanbly reserved about speaking up when needs must. I have had occasion only very recently to be left orbitting and then ignored and was very happy to make by views known. AT did not hesitate to offer an apology, and it may well have been a genuine mistake, but if it wasnt, it is unacceptable. My route was just about the full length of the country in a twin, and I am no more happy than CAT to be left orbitting burning 30 gallons an hour and on the elimit of my range for no good reason. I am very happy if there is good reason!

AT are there to facilitate the safe flow of traffic, nothing more, nothing less. This is their job and on the whole they deliver the service well, but there are a few to many occasions they forget that their customers are all of us, and not just those who are paying en route charges.

Well, I never flew in the UK so far, but flying in mainland Europe is for me in general not stressful. As @Fuji_Abound pointed out, some flights can be challenging, but stress is the wrong word. High concentration and respect are words that fit my feelings better during challenging flights.

For sure, I would be lying if I never witnessed stress during a flight, especially during my first flight lessons with a lot of turbulence, I was slightly panicking. And my first landing in a heavy rainstorm with gusts up to 45 kts in Sindal (EKSN), was also a stressful moment I will never forget. But that’s not the norm, it really takes a lot to get me into true stress.

Regarding ATC and airspace, I had a lot of respect for French airspace and their accent in the beginning, but that went out very well. For sure, some countries are easier to deal with than others, but that’s also what makes flying in Europe interesting and diversified. Mostly, I fly in Germany and Switzerland and both countries are quite uncomplicated, except for transits through the Frankfurt, Zürich or Geneva TMA, but one can deal with that. The only thing that can stress in a negative way in Germany, is the ‘closure’ of some airports, so you need to return to somewhere, before the “Flugleiter” leaves.

Last Edited by Frans at 25 Jan 23:20
Switzerland

From the text:

The data gathered in the study came from UK pilots only — and so this data might not apply to pilots flying in Europe, the US or other countries.

Hmm. I also find it very odd why people would use their spare time, flying GA, if it was stressful. I almost gave up flying because it was down right boring and void of meaning, puffing along from A to B for no reason. Then I started with UL (much more freedom), then tail wheel (Cub) which lead to glider towing in a Pawnee, then experimental aircraft, building, instructing. Suddenly it was all fun again, more action, more meaning, more depth. Then re-doing aerobatics rating from ages long gone.

I don’t know if it is stress they are writing about at all. Things only tends to get stressful if you feel you have to do things you rather would not do in the first place. If you like doing it, it becomes exciting, challenging, fun, interesting, even if it can be a bit scary at times and difficult. Or it can be relaxing, still eventful and meaningful (as opposed to boring). The point is, no one is pushing us to fly GA, so why do it if it makes you feel stressed or bored? That doesn’t make much sense. The key is to find the kind of GA that suits your personality and abilities.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message