Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Batteries galore! (Coventry airport getting a huge battery factory)

Apparently Coventry Airport is set to become the site of a new battery Gigafactory, with the local authority set to give themselves planning permission in competition with the North East.

No word yet on the aviation (or not) implications, although judging by the pic in that article landings on 23 will need some heavy braking. At least there will a healthy back door supply of ‘reject’ 2170 batteries that could electrify a few PA-28’s.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

No word yet on the aviation (or not) implications

Well, the airfield would essentially disappear. It seems inevitable as every local authority is in favour.

EDDW, Germany

Incredible newspeek.

“The airport site could accommodate up to 4.5m sq ft of commercial space, Coventry City Council said”
They forgot the first word of this : Destroying the airport size could …

LFOU, France

The French similar project seems a little bit more sensible : no airfield destroyed

LFOU, France

Is this the same outfit? In which case it looks like they’ve selected a site in Northumberland instead.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/britishvolt-acquires-northumberland-site-bid-20366012

Andreas IOM

Not the same outfit apparently. The Coventry one is led by JRT. Coventry airport have already told their staff of the impending doom and a timescale of 18 months to closure has been discussed publically.

However, there is bound to be heavy duty jostling for any government largesse that may be on offer, with Northern Ireland having an admirable track record in this regard. Either way, a significant driver (if you’ll forgive the pun) is the need for vehicles to have substantial local content post Brexit if they are to get into Europe duty free. Batteries from China may not cut it in that regard, hence the sudden enthusiasm for UK manuafacturing.

I’ll be happy to give up my parking space as my contribution to UK’s ‘Hong Kong of Europe’ strategy. And for free batteries…

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message