Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What IFR subscription for JeppFD for Central Europe

I am looking at the products Jeppesen provides for central Europe (say Switzerland, France, Italy, Austria, Germany) and I cannot find anything in a decent price range. I talked to a representative of Jeppesen at the AeroExpo in Friedrichshafen several years ago and then he showed me a subscription of some kind, which was around 500 EUR per year for one device. Now the only thing I find is Central Europe for 4 devices at the whopping price of $2,298 a year. Is this the best one can get these days? Did Jeppesen decide to go back to the 4 devices per license and drop the more affordable one device subscriptions?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

First, Jeppesen (Boeing??) decided to drop JeppFD at the end of 2019 after Boeing bought ForeFlight. The migration path for JeppFD subscribers is to ForeFlight.

ForeFlight has several plans here depending on your preference. One specified region (e.g. Europe) is in the price and includes all the “free” AIP charts that are also available via autoroute or directly on the Eurocontrol web site (or via EuroGA for Airports in the Database too now ). If you’re looking for Jeppesen charts instead, those are extra charge. That information is here and here. The Jepp IFR charts for Europe are €669/yr and the VFR (read: Bottlang) charts for Europe are an additional €99/yr. ForeFlight only runs on iOS/PadOS devices, and a subscription is for 3 devices: (2x ipad + 1x iphone) or (1x ipad + 2x iphones). You’ll find all that information and more on the links above.

LSZK, Switzerland

Jeppesen dropped Mobile Flight Deck VFR App. The App for IFR (Jeppesen FD Pro) is still available.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy, yes Jeppesen FD Pro (Pro X now) is still on the app store, but the description says it is for the commercial airline market which isn‘t exactly this space.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

@Snoopy, yes Jeppesen FD Pro (Pro X now) is still on the app store, but the description says it is for the commercial airline market which isn‘t exactly this space.

I use Jeppesen FD on an iPad and I’m not a commercial airline…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks @chflyer and @Snoopy, good info.

@Airborne_Again I think the two products are different: Jeppesen Mobile FD (sometimes called JeppFD) and Jeppesen FliteDeck Pro. I can still see both on the app store and they will even probably both work if you have a current subscription but the pro is described by Jeppesen as the “airline version”.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Yes, and I think the Jepp MFD VFR has been scrapped.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The best offer I found for Jepp was, as posted above, in Foreflight → around 800€ for Europe.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Maybe you could also consider Navigraph, which is Jeppesen for flight simulation. Those plates are the same plates as in real life, just with a banner “not for use in real flight” or something like that.

Arguably one would be legal if they took the official, free, AIP charts and compared them to the “not for real use” plate. Once it’s been established that they are the same, they become valid to use? And also just carry the copy of the AIP chart with you in case anybody asks…

EDDW, Germany

Comparing computer game charts to AIP charts (which have a different layout in each country) while flying an airplane single pilot IFR/IMC?

„Do not use for flight“ means do not use for flight.

Are the charts identical? How do you know?

always learning
LO__, Austria
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message