Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Belgian VFR Crossing Help

@eurogaguest1980 post moved to a previous identical thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi, I am considering flying from Nancy (LFSN) to Midden-Zeeland (EHMZ) VFR tomorrow and the direct track takes me over Belgium – never flown there. Are there any important things to know, particularly related to VFR and I have an aircraft in the “homebuilt” category? Looks like they want us to fly at about 2500 ft. Not planning to land in BE. Thanks!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I never had a crossing of a TMA even Florennes denied when asked.
When I was flying to/from EBGB is regularly asked Brussels info if I could enter EBBR TMA1 (which starts at 1500ft) and fly at 2000ft in order to be safer from other traffic. Most of the time this was OK and could remain with Brussels Info, sometime I had to contact Brussels Departure and was denied once because of the RWY in usage.
I would come in slightly more to the South, avoid EBR22 and contact Brussels Departure to cross.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Actually, the very southwest of Belgium is very pretty for a low-level VFR flight. Consider routing via the aerodromes of Tournai, Saint-Ghislain, Cerfontaine, then through the tight gap between the French border and the Florennes CTR (if active), then St. Hubert. See here in reverse. One of the nicest little VFR flights I have ever done.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@airways. Thank you – I’ll try that as plan A, weather permitting, but I’ll have the low-level OCAS route available as a backup.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

I’d say 95%. Depending on the time of the day you’d need to climb to FL90 in the vicinity of EBBR.

EBST, Belgium

Thanks @airways. I’m planning to refuel and clear immigration at either EBOS or EBKT. What do you think are the chances I’ll be able to climb up to ~FL70 via MAK and then take L607 eastbound VFR, accepting vectors as suits ATC?

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Is this a weekend flight ? Then I’d recommend to cruise around FL080-090 (yes, IFR levels !) as you plotted it. During the week you’ll need to stay clear of TSA/TRA over the Ardennes. You can do this at 1500’ too but you really need to stay clear of that R22. All CTR/TMA might be accessible when asking for a transit, depends a bit on the RWY in use. Be fluent on the radio and don’t worry too much; we have crossing VFR traffic every day.

Last Edited by airways at 12 Apr 19:52
EBST, Belgium

Welcome peter843 😀

There was a similar question on this thread which might help

Let us know how it goes

[ posts merged ]

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

@airways may know re current Belgian ATC policies on say turning up at KONAN FL070 and asking for a VFR transit all the way across Belgium. It used to work

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message