Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA SIB: Effects of Space Weather on Aviation

SIB from 2012 recently got revised. Maybe because “The solar activity follows an eleven year cycle.”, and so does the SIB (almost).

These are interesting:

Reference: https://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/2012-09R1
Local copy: EASA_SIB_2012_09R1_1_pdf

Last Edited by Dimme at 05 May 12:59
ESME, ESMS

I wonder how real this is. I have seen loss of GPS signal but it is extremely rare and was clearly due to jamming. You can also lose GPS post-startup if some reason the constellation data was corrupted; might take half an hour to sort out.

I like the multiple words meaning the same thing: availability, continuity, integrity, accuracy This guy must be on some govt grant

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I like the multiple words meaning the same thing: availability, continuity, integrity, accuracy This guy must be on some govt grant

They don’t mean the same thing at all!

Availability – the likelihood that the system is available for use when requested
Continuity – the ability of the system to provide an uninterrupted service
Integrity – the ability of the system to prevent incorrect operation
Accuracy – the (maximal) positioning error

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

How do you request GPS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have not seen loss of GPS due to Solar Storms or CME, but I have seen instances where LPV service is not available. Can still navigate enroute, terminal and LNAV approach, just not LPV.

KUZA, United States

You turn your GPS receiver on :-)

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

How do you request GPS?

The term “availability” is generic and not specific to GPS. GPS is expected to be available H24. As alioth writes, you turn the receiver on.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message