Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youngest woman around the world (Zara Rutherford)

@IO390

I like EuroGA because it’s still a nice place on the internet. Without the social media marketing BS, famous people hysteria, instagramification etc..

It’s a diverse bunch of people talking flying and having discussions that go deeper than just the surface.

I don’t think it’s jealousy or negativity, it’s rather that flying around the world, at a closer look, requires first and foremost $$$.

The $$$ comes from sponsors, and these sponsors want publicity for their money. That’s when it gets annoying. See „breaking news“ about landing at JFK.

The majority of people do not have the funds for a new Shark UL, let alone to pay for all the support/legal stuff/gas/hotels or landing/handling fees at JFK.

Maybe that’s why there is a bit of lethargy in acknowledging all these „records“, when really they mainly are an exercise of fundraising and media attention and less about GA flying.

always learning
LO__, Austria

when really they mainly are an exercise of fundraising and media attention and less about GA flying.

Other than the typical middle aged Earthrounder who probably is 90% plus self funded, am guessing all young pilot record attempts required an exercise in sponsorship. Am not sure the young pilots are hoping to capitalise by being yet another young person trying to earn a living as a youtube-r.

Hopefully a young woman flying across the north Atlantic and Pacific provides some inspiration towards aviation and possibly aiming higher to engineering type careers.

Looking at a possible westward ferry flight and the progress of hurricane Larry up the coast of Greenland, this flight isn’t for the faint hearted. He SEV TURB SIGMET was impressively large, and obviously shut down most of the alternates, in addition to 60 knot winds. I realise the pilot is somewhere over the west coast by now, but the actual flying and decision making is not a simple magenta line exercise.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Can we bend the knee to this guy: ATW, C152 using his own budget !

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Sep 18:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@lbra am not worthy :)

One question is how the Shark UL got permission on the IFR routing to Goose Bay without HF, unless it flew low level?

The website tracking progress is a bit short on detail, it would be interesting if the flight is being conducted VFR, although it did route Narsarsquaq which I always thought required HF and IFR (unless filing FL280).

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I think it is stupid that nobody supplies information like that… How was it arranged?

Any intelligent reader interested in flying would like to know that.

Instead we get dumb PR stuff.

A friend, Simon Oliphant-Hope, did RTW in an MD500 some 15 years ago and wrote up a really interesting story. He had a “backup man” of course, but overall it was much simpler than the present day stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@RobertL18C

You’ve answered your own questions. VFR BGBW-CYYR has to be done ‘low level’, and UL is only permitted VFR.

Hope that helps?

Best regards, Sam.

Last Edited by removed0 at 12 Sep 19:20

IO390 wrote:

Pilot forums seem to breed a certain attitude, generally stemming from jealousy, and it’s quite unpleasant at times.

Perhaps, but flying a GA airplane on your own has a general meaning. All PPL courses around the world teaches you this: planning and executing the flight on your own. There is absolutely nothing wrong in getting help to do stuff, but, we all know that the difficult parts of flying as a hobby are:

• Getting money to fly as much as we want
  • Getting time to fly as much as we want
  • Getting money and time to get as experienced as we feel we need to be to fly as-, and where we want, in the aircraft of choice.

Flying around the world is all about planning, financing the whole thing, and taking the correct operational decisions every step of the way. That is the difficult part. Technically flying the airplane is the same everywhere. There is no way a teenager with a fresh PPL has the experience and know how needed to do all the stuff needed.

Still, it’s great that young people do stuff out of the ordinary, and it is great PR for our hobby.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Sam_Rutherford wrote:

VFR BGBW-CYYR has to be done ‘low level’, and UL is only permitted VFR.

Interesting – but how “low level”? I am pretty sure Ive read on here and elsewhere, that several of the places being flown into to cross the atlantic are “IFR arrivals only” so how des one go about getting the permissions to fly an ULM VFR to these places – this is the stuff that pilots want to know about. Is it simply a matter of chucking money at the problem or is it the publicity/sponsorship thing?

Regards, SD..

The AIP of each country specify what’s needed. I’m not aware of any ‘place’ used for ‘crossing the atlantic’ that is ‘IFR arrivals only’.

It is neither a question of ‘chucking money’ nor ‘publicity/sponsorship’. It’s good old fashioned flight planning.

Hope that helps?

Just to add a bit to the above, there is no distinction ULM/CS23/CS25 when landing in FAA public airports, the “land and sky of freedom” does not distinguish much between “IFR vs VFR” nor “UL/SE/ME” when it comes to flying or landing, also “stick time” is the same in gliders, ULM, Annex2, EASA types when it comes to logging 1500h for ATP, an ATP holder can do his BFR in LSA if he wish

In other words, as long as you plug the right equipement or ratings and can afford signature handling, you can do what you wish subject to ATC blessing

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Sep 17:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message