Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youngest woman around the world (Zara Rutherford)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Well done! Congratulations to Zara and also her family and supporters.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

She was even on the news on national television last night They said she was the youngest woman around the world, but also that it was the first time anyone had flown around the world in an UL. I thought the last was done ages ago, but maybe they are correct. Many has tried, but none has actually done it yet?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

but also that it was the first time anyone had flown around the world in an UL.

In international terms “UL” is not a registered trademark or protected legal term. As there are so many different definitions (and they change over time) that it is. not impossible that for that specific definition of the category (which might not have existed a year ago) she was the first.

There have been successful earth rounders in ULs before – but even that is a questionable category: Many (if not all) used aux tanks and hence got a permission to exceed MTOW. If an aircraft category is defined by being below a certain MTOW and then you go beyond this by individual permission, even technically it’s no longer an UL ?!?

Germany

Lots of lucky folk here with lots more time than me….

Congratulations old girl. Awesome.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

around the world in an UL

Yes, it’s been done, and more than once
In 2016 for example, with Matevz Lenarcic from Slovenia with a Dynamic WT9, or in 2010 by locals (for me) Francisco Agullo and his friend Yannick Bovier, each flying a CTLS. And there are more…
Referenced by the Official Earthrounders Records

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

She is back. Massive media coverage!

I’d like to read about the details of the logistics. It would take an experienced IFR touring pilot not weeks but months just to plan something like this. Especially VFR. Starting with overflight permits…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All done by daddy and his friends, I’m assuming.

Kent, UK

I think a few people here would benefit from reading Theodore Roosevelt’s speech to the Sorbonne in 1910; the man in the arena.

She still had to do it. Single engine. Over water. Over land where any emergency landing is going to be pretty catastrophic. On her own.

Good girl.

Pig
If only I’d known that….

But would be brilliant to know about the planning, how it all was put together. Thar how to stuff. now that would be fantastic.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message