Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Study material to prepare for BZF II

Hi all,
I want to take the BZF II test to be able to fly to German only airfields (my licence is French) and I am looking for resources providing suitable training. I stumbled upon this website which seems to offer a quite complete course, but it is quite expensive given it’s online-only, and it also seems to go too much in-depth into the theory that I already know, as it is designed for German pre-solo student pilots.
In any case, does anyone have any experience with this website or knows of any other platform that can help? I really mostly need to learn the key terms in German and some of the fundamental differences in procedures between France and Germany (I already know most of them but I want to have a complete overview).
First-hand reports on the test itself by both Germans and non-Germans are also very welcome

LFST, France

Hi,

i’ve done my tests (BZF I and later AZF) in Bremen. There’s a theory test with 100 questions from a set of ~300 containig airlaw, a little bit of navigation and so on. Mostly identical to the communication section in the PPL theoretical skill test. The questions ae available here:Questions BZF .

The phraseology is explained in the appendices on the german AIP, GEN 3.4. You can get it via the free Eurontrol site.

The practical test contains a simulated departure and and arrival at controlled airports, using the usual terminology. Obey reporting points, read back clearances correctly and don’t take off without clearance. You may be asked about your heading / altitude / position to check that you undertand the contents of the given clearance.
There are mostly 4 to 8 participants at one skilltest, so you have plenty time become familar with your clearance. The examiner comes to the participants one after another.

My be you can get some training with an german aeroclub? Many provide practical online training.

But why do you want to pass the BZF II? To my knowledge you need an ICAO level 4 (or higher) entry for german in your license and a radio operator certificate from your country, nothing else.

EDHN, EDVM, Germany

But why do you want to pass the BZF II? To my knowledge you need an ICAO level 4 (or higher) entry for german in your license and a radio operator certificate from your country, nothing else.

Actually it is the opposite. You need a RT-licence which allows to do German radio, but a German language proficiency is not required provided you have the English language proficiency (FCL.055a).
However, this is rather theoretical as you might pass German LP4 when passing the German BZF2 exam…

Part FCL.055 (a)
General. Aeroplane, helicopter, powered-lift and airship pilots required to use the radio
telephone shall not exercise the privileges of their licences and ratings unless they have a
language proficiency endorsement on their licence in either English or the language used for
radio communications involved in the flight

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

@seba
I heard (read: don’t know them from own experience) about fluglehrerteam.de which provides online-training, amongst others for the German BZF2:

https://fluglehrerteam.com/de/201812160820-2/onlinekurse-luftfahrt/online-flugfunkkurs-bzf-ii-de

Maybe worth checking out.

Marcel wrote:

Actually it is the opposite. You need a RT-licence which allows to do German radio

I don’t think so. If that’s true, every foreign Pilot without a RT for german language, to my knowledge these are German and Austrian only, isn’t allowed to fly in germany using the german language. The result of this would be that French / Polish / Italian etc. pilots arent allowed to use the german language, even when they are native speakers.

EDHN, EDVM, Germany

I don’t think so. If that’s true, every foreign Pilot without a RT for german language, to my knowledge these are German and Austrian only, isn’t allowed to fly in germany using the german language.

The requirement to hold a RT licence is a national regulation (which is the reason why there is no EASA regulation for this). I don’t know whether there are EASA-countries which don’t require a RT-licence, but Germany does. You will find that in §1 of the “Verordnung über Flugfunkzeugnisse (FlugfunkV)

Link: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/flugfunkv_2008/__1.html

BTW, next to Germany and Austria, also Switzerland has a German RT licence.

So yes, you are right with the remark that this limits foreign pilots from using German RT and thus prohibits flying to all the (smaller) German-only airfields…

In real life things may be different from that regulatory framework……..

sw1969 wrote:

I don’t think so. If that’s true, every foreign Pilot without a RT for german language, to my knowledge these are German and Austrian only, isn’t allowed to fly in germany using the german language. The result of this would be that French / Polish / Italian etc. pilots arent allowed to use the german language, even when they are native speakers.

It’s just how it is, there is no doubt that I need a BZF licence to speak German on the radio in Germany, there are many past threads about this on the forum.

Marcel wrote:

@seba
I heard (read: don’t know them from own experience) about fluglehrerteam.de which provides online-training, amongst others for the German BZF2:

https://fluglehrerteam.com/de/201812160820-2/onlinekurse-luftfahrt/online-flugfunkkurs-bzf-ii-de

Maybe worth checking out.

Thanks I’ll have a look.

By the way, does anyone know what the requirements are in Austria? Is there any German-only airfield and if so can I speak German there with (or without) the BZF or is it not valid in Austria?

LFST, France

It’s a little bit weird. According to the german regulations the BZF II is only valid for using the german language in germany only. If you have the BZF I, you are allowed to use german in foreign countrys too.

Source: www.bundesnetzagentur.de
>>BZF II – Sprechfunk innerhalb der Bundesrepublik Deutschland in deutscher Sprache nach Sichtflugregeln<<

Translation:
Radio communication within the german federal republic in german language acoording to visual flight rules

Last Edited by sw1969 at 09 Aug 07:35
EDHN, EDVM, Germany

Presumably BZF 2 is easier than 1?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Maybe it’s easier for german native speakers. The difference is in the skill test. For BZF II there are simulated approach and departure in german language, for BZF I approach or departure is in english. Additional you have to translate a text out of the german AIP from german to english.

Last Edited by sw1969 at 09 Aug 08:17
EDHN, EDVM, Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message