Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night flight over the Alps in a SEP

“As regards risk aversion with passengers, a flight I would not do with passengers I would not do solo either.”
I fly with passengers who are capable of decision making as I fly solo.
With passengers who are not aviation savvy, I use a greater safety margin.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I don’t have a final opinion on night flight over the alps.

However, I know a route which I’ve flown so often and landed at every aerodrome along that route, where I am practically all the time within gliding range to one of these aerodromes, that I might some day raise my (personal) level of confidence to maybe do it in the night. IF weather promises a clear and bright night, of course, because airfields are mostly without illumination. Of course, you really have to know what you’re doing, and for now I wouldn’t do it. But having close to 1000 hours of experience in aircrafts without engine (mostly on gliders) and quite a bit of that in the Alps (and even some off-field landings in the alpine region) raises confidence level a bit. For me, this is not playing russian roulette.

However I think I would climb to oxygen levels to have more time to decide (and to not have to look in the map about location of high flying granite)

It would end up flying IFR, I think, because despite the real good accuracy of GPS units I would not fly below mountain tops.

Last Edited by UdoR at 21 Sep 14:38
Germany
62 Posts
Sign in to add your message