Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving my plane to France

I write a blog article about the process of getting my plane (and me as a pilot) to France, in case anyone is interested: https://n5296s.blogspot.com/2021/09/moving-my-plane-and-its-pilot-to-france.html

LFMD, France

great reading, and lot of useful “pay attention to” for owners who would want to bring their aircraft by sea.

Sorry about your bad experience with the Aéroclub Basque ;) We try to answer positively to all the inquiries, but we have had an increase of around 75% in term of flying activity this year, so the management of the “bénévoles” and the aircrafts is pretty tight.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you come around the bask coast anytime soon !

LFBZ, France

Fantastic write up !

EGTF, LFTF

Welcome to Europe!

Sure enjoyed that read, interesting point of views.
Brought back some memories since, about 2 years ago, I helped a friend import a US reg experimental category SPA Panther. This went pretty well. The shipping company gave us 1hr to unload the container, which was still on the truck, about 1.50m hi. Luckily we were able to gather some manpower, built some ramps, and carried/rolled the lightweight Panther onto the ramp. Foldable wings reinstalled, pitot and fuel sensors connections done, and it was ready to fly… almost, but that is another story…

Again, thanks for sharing, and enjoy your flying around here!

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@jeff64: pas de souci! I see your Robins all the time, living (some of the time) just behind the dune at Hossegor.

LFMD, France

Just read your writeup. Interesting!

Just a few comments:

Plan a straight line, you’ll nearly always be allowed in, maybe with an altitude change or a slight detour.

Not really… much depends on the detail, where, etc… See e.g. here. Straight CAS (Class D mostly) and with no military airspace involved, you usually get a transit through, in provincial France.

Also, from May 2022, a French license will be needed for residents even when flying an N-reg aircraft with an FAA license.

That’s been the case every year since 2011 and they moved it every year

as long as you haven’t declared anything the FAA doesn’t like – which is pretty much everything. On the other hand, if you omit so much as a dental hygienist appointment from your declared list of medical treatment, you can be banned for life from holding an FAA license

Not actually how it works, but a lot of people say that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice writeup, welcome in Cannes and can’t wait to see you on the apron.

LFMD, France

Not really… much depends on the detail, where, etc

I’m only saying what I’ve been told. I carefully planned my route to avoid all the military stuff. But flying out here in the south west, that’s not possible (for a start, Dax airport is right at the centre of R40). I’ve done several flights involving Cazuax’s airspace which have gone smoothly – and fun listening to all the military stuff on the radio. One time we got cleared at 500 feet in R31A (infinity-ground) all the way down the coast, which was a lot of fun.

That’s been the case every year since 2011 and they moved it every year

True of course but now they’ve finally got all the CB stuff in place, they might even make it stick. Anyway it seems like a good idea to have a French license so I can fly at French aeroclubs.

Not actually how it works, but a lot of people say that

In 67.403 seems pretty clear that any “false statement” is grounds for pretty draconian stuff. Whether omitting a visit to the hygienist counts, I don’t know. I always just put “various routine dental visits” to cover myself, and nobody complains.

can’t wait to see you on the apron.

I’m on the other side of the country right now, but N5296S is parked on the ramp outside Hangar 4. Give her a wave if you pass, she’s probably feeling lonely.

LFMD, France

@johnh congratulations on bringing ‘Sierra’ over to Europe, enjoyed the blog!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Many thanks for the writing, I really liked the relaxed mindset when dealing with the « unplanned »
Happy flights !

41 Posts
Sign in to add your message