Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What will FAA IRs / N-reg pilots do in the UK after 21 December 2021?

Qalupalik wrote:

No, that time limit does not apply. Read the first clause in art 8(3) again: “By way of derogation from the provisions of Articles 4 to 7 …”

Ah thanks, that makes sense.

However the CAA webpage still seems to insist that the validation is “of limited duration” and even then it does not seem to apply to “FAA Certificate holders permanently residing in the UK”

The UK CAA seem to suggest that this is a time limited route to temporarily validate foreign visiting pilots only, and it looks as though at least from the way the webpage is worded, that it will not be issued permanently (or at all to UK Based FAA Pilots) Which would put the dampers on the idea that it can be used to retain privileges for UK based to fly UK Airways for 28 days per year?

CAA Webpage

Last Edited by Pilot-H at 18 Nov 12:20

to fly UK Airways

This is not related to “airways” (which has no meaning anyway; they are just a specific airspace class; mostly A and some D). This stuff relates to any flying activity if the “operator” is “based” here. Even VFR will in theory need a UK PPL and a UK medical (although practically speaking, as discussed already, most UK based N-reg pilots already have these, so they need to hack around “VFR” until in foreign airspace and then they are all free).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Question – ORS4 1490 (FAA certificates exemption expiring 21 Dec 2021) makes no reference to SRG2141 (28 days) and the older doc IN–2017/029 (Jul 2017 now withdrawn) which does mention SRG2141 implies it is for non-FAA ICAO third country licences.
here

Is this a CAA error (because they didn’t think FAA certificate UK-based pilots would ever need/want to use SRG2141) and should we check with [email protected] if SRG2141 can be used by FAA certificate holders after 21 Dec?
Or John Overall (Head of Policy) who wrote ORS4 1490?

United Kingdom

plangley wrote:

. . . should we check with [email protected] if SRG2141 can be used by FAA certificate holders after 21 Dec?

I’m told the CAA is in total disarray at the moment.
Many of the knowledgeable staff have left (I believe four more senior people left last week) and many of those still left are working from home where they intentionally do not open emails so that they cannot be accused of failing to fulfil: “We will resolve your question in 21 days”.
I believe a question raised now would not even get answered by 21 December: Let alone produce a definitive answer.
Because confusion has reigned over ‘derogation’ until the last moment every year for at least 11 years, I would only “Cross bridges when we get to them” or “Let sleeping dogs lie”: whatever is the apposite aphorism for our present situation!

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

As I wrote above, I think what we thought was the UK derogation was actually fake (just a FUD policy statement with no sanction attached) because all the CAA wanted were the two SRG forms and the £47 (IOW £47 and some hassle for N-regs, in that order).

So, for 21 Dec, the most likely outcome is more of the same – because it needs no competence beyond the generation of ORSxxx at 1700 on 20 Dec. And the nice guy who generates these, John Overall, is still there.

In years past, one would be getting the FTO industry lobbying the DfT (under the table of course; you never do blatently self-serving stuff openly) to end this, because they want to grab the conversion money from a few hundred UK based FAA IR holders, but this won’t be happening now because all of them are high-hour pilots who would do the 50hr IFR PIC CB IR conversion route which bypasses the FTOs.

But I think most won’t bother with the annual gravy train of UK IR revals and will just keep the PPL + medical valid and fly VFR (in IMC if necessary), up to the Channel boundary.

Administrator

CAA Skywise broadcast today “No extension or change of legislation is expected”

https://mailchi.mp/caa/reminder-faa-certificate-holders-permanently-residing-in-the-uk?e=865a5bf610

United Kingdom

Some strange invented-on-the-spot wording there, like “flying for pleasure”.

Administrator

I don’t know why the CAA can’t just verify the licence with the FAA by going to their website and looking up the individual pilot’s certificate details rather than relying on the FAA’s timings (or maybe the FAA’s timing is the time it takes for the HTTP return request to come through?!)

For what it’s worth, that’s how they do it in Hungary.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

I knew there would be a catch in the 28-day thing.

According to the CAA “guidance” for ICAO licence holders here
the 28-day SRG2141 option is for “FAA certificate holders not residing in the UK”.

United Kingdom

local copy of above link

They are certainly pressing very hard to get all N-reg people grounded, or force them to get UK papers – at least to the minimum extent (PPL+medical).

Administrator
Sign in to add your message