Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What will FAA IRs / N-reg pilots do in the UK after 21 December 2021?

I am 110% sure you can fly N-reg in UK with NPPL+PMD, someone from the ‘shared service’ suggested to get my SSEA signed off and fly on it while my CAA medical and license papers were getting re-printed after SOLI to EASA, this does not even require FAA to recognize NPPL+PMD nor that these have to be ICAO

As far as flying N-reg on local licenses, everything is delegated to the local country, as long as CAA issue the local license and they are happy for you to use it in UK airspace, the FAA is fine for you to use it in N-reg in UK airspace (or UK landmass+12nm is you are a purist), the real question are NPPL & PMD privileges restricted to G-reg? my understanding back then and now is NO, there is no G-reg restriction on CAA papers and on the bright side, FAA allow N-reg flying on sub-ICAO medicals within US airspace

The whole list of what you can use on N-reg flown on local license and rating is very huge and one can’t make it that exhaustive but let me start: PMD, NPPL, UKPPL, LAPL + LAPL medical, SSEA, SLMG, IMCR, IRR, CBIR, EIR, Acrobatics, Night, FI, FE, CRI, CRE, IRI, IRE…

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Apr 12:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Has anyone been using SRG2141 ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know several pilots using the similar in Norway. I won’t name them :)

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

That’s interesting. For many it probably covers the requirements.

Administrator

Peter, from the post you linked:

“That to me says I can do 28 IFR (FAA papers only) operations in a calendar year. It doesn’t say all the year’s flying has to be done in one 28-day block…”

The personnel licensing policy lead at the UK CAA confirmed to me by telephone a couple of years ago that these 28 days can be spread out over the calendar year.

London, United Kingdom

That’s really interesting. Thanks for that data point.

It’s really useful because 28 high altitude IFR flights within the UK will do most people, and going abroad will be covered by the FAA papers. Maybe I should do this too rather than reval the UK IR every year.

But one then ends up worrying about what happens once the IR on the license having been older than 3 years… the usual old story.

But, reading the above link, you need to file SRG2141 also.

Administrator

“ what happens once the IR on the license having been older than 3 years”

That restriction was disapplied by UK CAA in mid-2014 as explained in UK Information Notice IN-2014/109 (pdf from Kew archives), para 1.1:

“Based upon Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC) material published by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), the CAA had previously advised that examiners may only sign a Part-FCL (or JAR-FCL) licence to renew a rating if the rating has not expired by more than three years. Following further discussions in Europe and the development by the UK CAA of an Alternative Means of Compliance, the three-year restriction may now be withdrawn.”

London, United Kingdom

Peter writes:

It’s really useful because 28 high altitude IFR flights within the UK will do most people, and going abroad will be covered by the FAA papers.

This is a really useful route for those of us, like myself (and Peter?), who fly from the U.K. to do most of our IFR flying each year abroad but do an occasional IFR trip each year e.g. to Ireland or Scotland from the Southeast of the U.K.
But does the ‘Sign Off’ paragraph of SRG2141 mean that you need an independent FAA Medical or would your CAA medical cover that?

Last Edited by Peter_G at 19 Sep 08:33
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

the three-year restriction may now be withdrawn.”

Thank you for the reminder

The other gotcha is that if you have to send your papers to the CAA, and there is an IR on there which has expired, the CAA will remove that expired entry, and a freelance IR examiner cannot sign those papers anymore. This happened to me; I don’t remember how it was dealt with. Of course the “solution” is to always have a valid IR.

SRG2141 adds some hassle, and a little bit of cost. No idea about the medical. Not even sure if the SRG2142 route is available at all to 61.75 PPL holders, because what will the FAA be confirming?

Administrator
79 Posts
Sign in to add your message