Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA 61.75 piggyback + FAA IR (and whether a Type Rating can be added to a 61.75)

As I read 61.75, it only permits adding an instrument rating if the pilot already has an instrument rating on his ICAO pilot license, Otherwise, I assume you need to comply with 61.65.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 27 Jan 17:18
KUZA, United States

Lots of European N-reg owners have

• local PPL
  • 61.75 piggyback PPL
  • FAA “US test passed” IR (often done in the US because European checkride options have been “difficult”)

The reason they didn’t do

• local PPL
  • local IR
  • 61.75 piggyback PPL
  • FAA “Foreign pilot exam” IR

is because the European IR has historically been far more work than the FAA IR. And it is still the case today, unless you enjoy studying for the 7 exams. OTOH, to cut a long story short, not a lot of new people are coming to the N-reg community, for various reasons, one of which is this.

Both above routes also enable the use of a local medical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For the sake of this discussion, here is 61.75 in all its glory.

aquila wrote:

would you mind sharing which school you attended

I went with Phil from Accelerated IFR and highly recommend him.

Peter, if this is too much of an endorsement, my apologies and please remove.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Sure; of course you can recommend companies etc. This was always allowed. The Guidelines just try to stop people signing up and advertising without making any contributions to the forum (known in English as “taking the p1ss” ).

Quite a lot of people still try it though, and maybe we should ask them to make a donation of €50

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

tmo wrote:

I went with Phil

Thank you

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

Evening all, I have a few similar questions. Currently fly N reg in UK and have IMCR, and now 61.75 (appreciate i can’t use IMCR outside of UK). Have looked at CBIR route (and then FAA check ride to be dual IR licensed) and now having looked into the both the time and commitment to undertake the 7 exams for doing CBIR in uk, I’m now looking at doing acclerated FAA IR. Questions therefore:

1. would i / do i get any credit for instrument flight time to date undertaken with IMCR towards FAA IR? And if so, how much?
2. Can i do distance learning ground school – and is there a time limit do doing the flying element within completion of groundschool?
3. Realstically, how quickly could i do the groundschool?
4. Can i do any hours towards FAA IR within Europe (ideally UK) or is this all now wrapped up in Brexit / Easa/ CAA etc.?
5. If the only way to do this is to do an acclerated IR in the USA, can anyone recommend a flight school for both speed and effiicency?

Thanks.

1. likely yes; I think you ultimately need to only do some very small number of hours with a FAA FI – it’s all in the FARs, but your FI will be the ultimate source, as they will be signing you off for the checkride; that said, flying in the US is fun, so why not?
2. ground school is Sheppard Air or some such; there is a time limit from the date you pass the written; to take the written all you need is an endorsement from your FI; you will do that in the US anyway, so likely while training.
3. less than two weeks, since you already have a clue with the IMCR; if you go with Sheppard, do read and do follow their instructions to the letter.
4. in theory all of them, methinks, especially that you fly a N-reg; in reality, you want to do a mock checkride in the environment where the real one will be; also see #1.
5. need a visa? no. don’t need one? reach out to Phil from https://accelerated-ifr.com/ – you’ll be done in a week; beat, tired, dizzy, but with an IR.

Unless you are a citizen (or permanent resident?) of the US, you will need to enroll in AFSP and get TSA fingerprinting done. Do not underestimate the visa requirements if not a perm resident/citizen.

You will get a “Instrument airplane US test passed” on a new 61.75 so do get a validation letter from your CAA before you start the process. I did not, and it took me literally months to get that straightened out. Or just get a real FAA PPL while you’re at it; or both ;)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

vmc-on-top wrote:

any credit for instrument flight time to date undertaken with IMCR towards FAA IR

Actual and simulated instrument time (flight by sole reference to the instruments) counts towards the 40 hours required. These must include 15 hours of training with an instructor which, when done outside the US, includes non-US instructors. This also includes UK instructors with restricted instrument instructing privileges, cf para 4 in IN–2016/082.

London, United Kingdom

Fantastic, thank you

Sign in to add your message