Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Andrewsfield to Augburg ... in a 1951 Super Cub: suggested intermediate stops

The SC needs a more thorough engine break in, so planning a x-country to Munich in November - will wait for an early winter anti cyclone and give myself a week.

Would appreciate any suggestions for a couple of intermediate stops that are SC friendly. The SC at 75 knots has 6 hours endurance, but would plan to stop every 200 nm or so. Will expect some headwinds, in addition to built in head winds.

It also has US Army markings - UK CAA exemption in place - I assume no special requests needed for flying into Europe?

Thanks in advance

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No particular recommendations for enroute stops, but for Munich, you might consider Oberschleissheim (EDNX) instead of Augsburg, as it is within a not too long taxi ride of Munich city. EDNX has a yearly limit of 500 landings of visitor aircraft and in most years, the limit is reached sometime in late summer; however, that's not the case this year...just a week ago, I managed to get a landing slot and was quite surprised about that. There is a very simple online application form (also in English) here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Robert, if you plan to visit Munich then you could also fly to EDML (Landshut), my homefield. You can take a bus or taxi to the Landshut train station and go to Munich. Augsburg is a bigger airport and I guess the parking fees are higher. If I know when you are there I can give you a lift. Another alternative with the SC is EDMJ (Jesenwang), not far from the lake district south of Munich, actually between the lakes and the City. It's a funny small airport with many classic airplanes. Bother better for a SC than Augsburg, I think.

Yes, that's right. EDNX is only 5 miles to the center and if they really have slots left (I gave up trying...) then THAT IS the best! It is right next to the Aviation Branch of the "Deutsches Museum" ..worth visiting!

If the Luscombe had a modeS I would have asked if you felt inclined to make it an SC/L8 joint trip. Pity, sounds like a great trip. :-)

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Thanks for recommendations where to base when in Munich.

Andrewsfield being inside the Stansted TMZ meant that the no electric, no gyro SC boasts a Mode S.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Jesenwang would be great for a Super Cub. OK for a Luscombe (there is one based there) but apparently not a heavily loaded Luscombe. How the Mooney in the hangar gets in and out must be something to see... very carefully would be my guess :-)

Oberschleißheim on Sept 14th had a couple of aircraft come and go, apparently not based there. There was Fuji flying around that day too and it was the first I'd ever seen. Neat.

It's sure a good feeling to get the plane airborne again after work performed - I flew mine today after several months of trying to get the electric CS MT prop working right. Its a fussy thing. I flew it today (here in the US) and all is OK, no squawks.

If you come from Belgium I would suggest EDFZ Mainz - Finthen as intermediate stop.
It lies 15NM west of Frankfurt-Airport at 760ft elevation. Controlled airspaced above starts at 3500ft.

They got a 1000 x 22m concrete 26/08 rwy and (important) a 1000 x 80(!)m parallel grass runway in good condition. Restaurant at the field clsd MO & TUE. Hotel in 2km range. Club owned rent-a-car for 40€ per day.

If you inform me I'll be there to assist you.

EDxx, Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message