Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Google earth

10 Posts

Does anyone have a quick way of mapping VRPs onto google earth? Preferably on an ipad, but on a windows PC would be OK. The idea is to do some preflight preparation without having to plot them by hand onto a paper map..... I don't mind buying software for this if I have to, but I already have Ozi, see you, memory map, and airnav pro. Thanks all for your ideas.

It's supposed to be fun.
LFDW

If you have a Garmin GPS you can export the data from there and into Google Earth. I've done that, but a while ago and can't remember the exact steps. It does work, however. They come up as 'overlays' in Google Earth.

A couple of tools are here and here.

The last one I have used for plotting a GPS log onto GE.

Not sure if this is what was asked for... where will the VRPs come from?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, Peter, that might well work. I get the VRPs off the approach charts, and I can plot them on to a map in ozi or memory map, ( I have all of France in 25,000 scale) then find an export format that will work with the tools to show them on earth. The idea is to see them as they will be seen from an aircraft.

It's supposed to be fun.
LFDW

At the risk of de-railing this thread just a touch:

Do any of you people know where I can find updates that are planned for Google Maps? Where I live I have been looking at the same picture for yonks now, no recent images whatsoever!

Thanks for the info!

Ultra Long Hauler

I am sure GE buy their mapdata every once in a while, when they get the "right deal"

There is no claim that the data is current. The whole thing is a nice toy...

The GE image of my house (near Brighton, UK) says "2001" but is actually c. 2008.

A lot of satnav mapdata is a few years old, because older data is cheaper. TomTom data, for example, is at least 3 years old at any given time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi PC,

Are you trying to see all VRPs at once in GE or just the ones on your flight plan?

If just the ones on your flight plan then PocketFMS PC can do that. You plan your flight and can export your flight plan to Google Earth. The iPad version can't do that, just the PC version.

dp

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I've got UK VRPs, airfields and navaids in separate KML files. The original data came from thehangar.co.uk. Not sure how up-to-date it is. Don't think I can upload files here but when I can get to an Internet connection that isn't filtered (work) I'll upload them to somewhere suitable. Those will be viewable in Google Earth although not sure how relevant they will be for Piper.Classique but maybe others will find them useful.

Fairoaks, United Kingdom

Thanks all. I'll have a go while I wait for the rain to stop.

It's supposed to be fun.
LFDW
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message