Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen discontinuing their paper products

I think where Jepp is going wrong is to produce their own App. I'm pretty sure they would make more money by offering their chart product as add-on to established Apps like ForeFlight, FlyQ, etc., none of which have European coverage right now. Re-inventing the wheel isn't such a great idea, IMHO.

As a side note - does anyone on here use AirNav Pro? If so - comments?

As a side note - does anyone on here use AirNav Pro? If so - comments?

I think it used to be the best product for Europe until SkyDemon came out. I consider SkyDemon to be vastly superior to AirNav Pro and never looked back. The main issue of AirNav Pro is not functionality but its rather terrible usability.

achima, what doy ou mean "France is covered"? That the official map exists? Have you flown with that map? Jeppesen is still selling the 2012 map through its dealers... (why do they do that?)

achima,

I AGREE COMPLETELY - and that was why i left the Air Navigation Pro development team after two years. I still have Air Nav Pro on my iPad and all those expensive charts and approach charts, but since I discovered Skydemon I know what the future is.

what doy ou mean "France is covered"?

Jeppesen Mobile FlightDeck VFR has coverage for France. This is in line with Jeppesen's statement that they will keep producing the paper map until there is electronic coverage. This is why there are 2013 maps for Belgium/Netherlands but not for France/UK.

but since I discovered Skydemon I know what the future is.

I am a bit concerned about Skydemon's lack of commitment to chart correctness and quality. Their position seems to be that they plot data from the EAD and if it ends up showing terrible airspaces (e.g. UK) or mistakes, then it's not their problem. From a pilot point of view, that is not acceptable.

There is still one major issue I have with electronic charts: none of them give me an easy way to determine the applicable FIS frequency. That was always an easy thing with both Jeppesen and DFS charts. Now I have to look for a frequency and ask. I once had a case where FIS Germany told me on a VFR flight "contact Vienna" but without a frequency. I asked and the response was "that should be on your map". Well it wasn't unfortunately.

SkyDemon: I have not even seen that... not acceptabe, really.

Mobile Flight Deck: That doesn't really help people who want to fly without a tablet. There IS a strong pilot population who do not want the gadgets. And if I flew a slow classic plane I wouldn't want to fly with an ipad either.

There is still one major issue I have with electronic charts: none of them give me an easy way to determine the applicable FIS frequency.

Doesn't SkyDemon do that in the Pilot Log? Have to check ...

There is still one major issue I have with electronic charts: none of them give me an easy way to determine the applicable FIS frequency.

SkyDemon shows the frequencies in the pilot log.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

SkyDemon shows the frequencies in the pilot log.

Indeed, didn't know that! However, it's incomplete. It shows correct information for Germany and Austria but nothing for Slovenia and Croatia. They probably maintain this information manually.

Oh, did not see that! But the log is one of the best parts of SkyDemon. What's a little scary is that they take no responsibilty for the maps. It's actually too expensive for that ...

Sign in to add your message