Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen discontinuing their paper products

Indeed, didn't know that! However, it's incomplete. It shows correct information for Germany and Austria but nothing for Slovenia and Croatia. They probably maintain this information manually.

I entered a route Munich - Ljubljana - Zagreb - Banja Luca - Balaton - Munich and SD delivers FIS frequencies for Munich Information, Wien, Zagreb, Budapest and Ljubjlana as well as airfield and nav aid frequencies enroute.

They seem to be available.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

There is no printing feature in Mobile FlightDeck VFR. Jeppesen do not anticipate you to print, they expect you to carry two mobile devices if you are concerned about redundancy. The license gives you two devices.

Totally arrogant of them. Not suprising though; they own the charting world.

There are apps that you install on your Mac/Windows and that turn it into an Apple AirPrint relay but other than making screenshots on your iPad, there is no printing support.

That's probably useless (depending on how much of a readable map one can show in a screenshot).

The days of printing are coming to an end.

I disagree with that strongly, but clearly different pilots have different attitudes to technology risk, and to the hassle value of having to keep N gadgets charged up and working.

Anybody who thinks Ipads don't pack up should visit their local Apple shop and look at the queue of people carrying duff Iphones, Ipads, Imacs. These products are at the higher end of cheap consumer IT gear but they are not infallible.

Anyway, nothing we can do about this. All that will happen is that UK pilots will carry on flying with UK charts (as 99.9% of them do already, paper or Memory Map), French pilots will carry on flying with the IGN, SIA, or Cartabossy charts (ditto), German pilots will carry on flying with DFS charts (ditto) and the rest of Europe has much less GA and they will find their own solutions. Some will go electronic with e.g. Skydemon.

The Jepp VFR/GPS charts can be found on torrents and will probably be good for a few years.

Most pilots shops I've been to have been happy to sell them 1-2 years behind anyway

I think that by crippling their product in this stupid way, Jepp have just handed most of the market to Skydemon.

Can a jailbroken Ipad do any more? For example is there any way to "script" an app and print off a series of screenshots?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I said, there's a small box called XPRINTSERVER and it turns any printer into an IOS printer. I print all the Jepp View Charts with that, directly from the iPad, and all the pages from my Maintenance Manual or POH or any other PDF ...

JeppView FD (if you have a subscription) can print every approach chart. And for maps: I just make a screeshot from either SkyDemon, Air Navigation or similar and print it

What should a 2 year old French map be good for?? Flying?

I entered a route Munich - Ljubljana - Zagreb - Banja Luca - Balaton - Munich and SD delivers FIS frequencies for Munich Information, Wien, Zagreb, Budapest and Ljubjlana as well as airfield and nav aid frequencies enroute.

Indeed, after a chart update they all show up. It must have been a recent addition. Excellent, once again SkyDemon are doing something right!

I think that by crippling their product in this stupid way, Jepp have just handed most of the market to Skydemon.

I don't see how the product would be crippled. It does offer the greatest VFR maps available today for the countries it claims. Just that it has to be iOS, for redundancy one would be forced to carry two iOS devices while a lot of people have an iPad and an Android phone.

I am absolutely not concerned about my electronic map packing up. First of all I have a 2nd device (smartphone) and even if both packed up, I still have my VHF. I can fly an ILS without a chart if required, all information can be asked from VHF. I don't have a private bomb shelter because I think that some risks are too obscure to be worth preparing for.

Even less of a problem in the Cirrus ... you have the base map on the MFD, 2 small maps on the GNS430 ... plus the iPad... But of course i DO carry the VFR maps, they're stowed beneath the copilot's seat ...

As I said, there's a small box called XPRINTSERVER and it turns any printer into an IOS printer. I print all the Jepp View Charts with that, directly from the iPad

OK, but if an app doesn't offer printing then you are still stuffed.

All one can do is print off screenshots, i.e. images from the "camera roll".

Does this solution work over a USB cable, or WIFI?

Administrator

It's connected to the printer by USB cable and by cable to the network, that's all.

So, for $100 you get a box which attaches to your ethernet switch via ethernet and emulates an Airprint device - is that correct?

Can it print to a specific scale, or fit-to-page?

Ipad screenshots might be of good enough quality, especially on the later ones with the higher-res screens.

Has anybody here tried a screenshot from the Jepp app?

Administrator

It really doesn't offer any print settings, but astonishingly it always prints "fit-to-page" when I print charts in A4, and that's really the only thing i use it for.

I sometimes print screenshots of VFR maps, directly from the ipad, and I think they look pretty good.

You can use any PC for the same or better functionality. If you take a screenshot on iOS, it can get replicated to your PC using iPhoto's Photostream.

I once met an executive who used his PC entirely to print out emails. Every email he got was printed and then sorted in heaps on his table for processing. That is how I would feel taking screenshots on the iPad and printing them

Sign in to add your message