Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen discontinuing their paper products

You can use any PC for the same or better functionality. If you take a screenshot on iOS, it can get replicated to your PC using iPhoto's Photostream.

How does that work? What exactly is the PC connection?

Screenshots end up in what Apple call "Camera Roll" the "Gallery" in smartphones. I think there is a Print option for each photo. Is there a multiple photo print option? This is all purely IOS.

I once met an executive who used his PC entirely to print out emails. Every email he got was printed and then sorted in heaps on his table for processing. That is how I would feel taking screenshots on the iPad and printing them

Yes but that is just a stupid way to work. The risk management picture is completely different between sitting at a desk and flying a plane. When airborne, you need a backup for any electronic device. I don't count panel mount avionics as a valid backup (for me) because I would never pay the database costs of getting Jepp VFR or terminal chart products onto a panel mount device.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I never print out eMails, or anything. But to print out a map with the route, the flight log and the route is not such a bad after all. There's been cases of NO ELCTRICITY even in planes like the SR22 with 2 alternators and 2 batteries ...

At age 56 I find paper to be much more readable than any LCD screen.

But I don't expect the young people doing software development at Jepp to see that.

Then there is sunlight readability. The Ipad is marginally readable even with a €25 (the best I could find) matt screen protector.

It's probably better in airliners (some AOC operations allow Ipads now) which have small windows, or perhaps turboprops. But the TB20, along with most light GA planes, has huge windows, and most IFR flight is VMC in bright sunshine. I fly with an Ipad but find it just too fiddly, to keep orienting it so I can read it, and not touch the touch screen and mess it up. And there is nowhere to mount it so it can be accessed hands-off.

I don't print out emails either

Well, except to fax them when the email is a bounceback because nobody at the other end has bothered to maintain their email domain or aliases That happens a LOT.

Administrator

So, for $100 you get a box which attaches to your ethernet switch via ethernet and emulates an Airprint device - is that correct?

I cant recall the name of the product as I haven't installed it on Windows 8 and need to look it up, but there was something free or no more than $10 which installed a service on your PC, and through WiFi, allowed you print to any printer, so long as your PC is switched on (the only let down).

Peter, you know what's very readable? Electronic ink eBook readers! Just like Paper, battery lasts for months and extremely reliable. For some time i had all manuals on a Kindle, and Charts look pretty good too, colored maps not

I cant recall the name of the product as I haven't installed it on Windows 8 and need to look it up, but there was something free or no more than $10 which installed a service on your PC, and through WiFi, allowed you print to any printer, so long as your PC is switched on (the only let down).

I have such a product on the Ipad. It is called PrintBureau.

It can print to "any" printer, and in fact it does, except the printed result is crap. The fonts are wrong, the scaling is useless, etc. They say they are working to improve it... It does have an option of installing some support on a PC as well, and maybe that works better, but I haven't tried it.

The basic problem, I am told by one developer, is that IOS does not implement a proper printing architecture. Windows gives you a virtual page of some sort which you print to, and then a driver for the actual printer is all that is needed. IOS does not have this - it is more like DOS.

Peter, you know what's very readable? Electronic ink eBook readers! Just like Paper, battery lasts for months and extremely reliable. For some time i had all manuals on a Kindle, and Charts look pretty good too, colored maps not

Know them well :) I had one for about a year - the Irex Ilyad. We have another one around; a bigger one. Great for reading books and documents when on an airline flight, etc. Very limited otherwise, and cannot ever run a GPS moving map. Actually I tried to discuss with Irex re a moving map because it may be possible with a local rewrite, but they were not interested.

Also a lot of Jepp VACs are in colour.

Administrator

@alexisvc

I disagree with you onvectorcharts always being best. Skydemon sure is great for anyone using gps as their main navigation source but it is useless for referencing with what you actually see (old fashioned navigation).

I do use gps as my primary navigation source and I use skydemon .. But I also use sky-map.de in parallel because I much prefer the chart presentation which is actually dfs or jepp. I also carry paper charts .. And frequently just use them as a crossreference just because it gives you a much better overview and better detail so it allows you the plan ahead much further.. I do admit that I no longer carry the layest versions.. For that i rely on Skydemon.

Actually .. In holland there is still a large group of people who are convinced that an updated/ammended paper chart is mandatory.

And if you do go electronic... Always have a backup.. My preferred choice for the future will be ipad mini2 (which I have come to prefer over the standard ipad) and the google nexus 7 lte.

Commander, I don't really see an advantage in the "old fashioned" DFS or Jeppesen charts. I think it's only a matter of getting used to. But whatever, there will be no more Jeppesen map of France - and EVERYTHING is better than the official French VFR map. Maybe not if you're cryptographer ;-) I use an iPad mini for Skydemon together with a Bluetooth GPS. Works fine.

Natural evolution of things, but paper still has its advantages for VFR planning. Not only for the photo opportunities, showing ones living room or hotel room with the floor covered with maps. It's too expensive to do the same thing with iPads :)

When I have planned longer VFR trips the last few years the charts has made it easier, especially in complex airspaces. Putting all those maps together gives you a great overview and makes it easier to find a working VFR route. In the air, I've used Air Nav Pro for the follow up (and now SkyDemon).

As a side note - does anyone on here use AirNav Pro? If so - comments?

Air Nav Pro has seen its best days I think, it's like Lotus 123, they just didn't keep up :) Their only advantage is the lower price.

does anyone on here use AirNav Pro? If so - comments?

Looking at the list of top in-app purchases on their Apple shop page, I think ANP's biggest selling point - for the UK, anyway - was that it offered the "real printed" UK CAA VFR charts, and presumably worked a lot better than the crappy app called Memory Map which was traditionally used for that function.

That sort of functionality has its place. For example I have it for all of Europe, using Oziexplorer, and I had it from Day 1 using Oziexplorer. Back then I had to scan the printed charts, which wasn't cheap. I actually prefer that sort of chart presentation, but it does need a larger screen to ensure that all the airspace labels are always visible.

So ANP may not have kept up, but really I'd say it's a different product.

The huge attraction of Oziexplorer is that if you have contacts in low places, you can get pan-European mapdata for it, produced by the usual big names and community-converted. That could never be done commercially, because licensing the maps would jack up the product cost by something approaching €500-1000.

I suspect that the demise of the printed charts (in printed or electronic form) and a move to the Ipad platform is eventually going to kill off the Oziexplorer option - unless somebody finds a way to extract the data.

Obviously it can be done by taking loads of screenshot tiles and in fact the UK CAA charts were once extracted that way from MM. I guess it was a lot of work since the person doing it hasn't done it since.

Practically speaking, the last (2013) Jepp charts will be good for a couple of years at least. Excluding UK, Germany and France (which publish good national charts) the Jepp charts for the other regions were sometimes updated every 2-3 years anyway.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message