Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen discontinuing their paper products

How can you 'absolutely love SD' but 'don't have confidence' in it?

What I mean is that I love it is as product and happily use it as I describe and have confidence in the product, but, for the reasons others have mentioned, I cant be 100% confident the data is totally accurate, hence I cross-reference to the national charts as well. My confidence is something like 95% as in the UK flying I mostly do, I have seen no issues, but if I busted a restericted area or something just because I used an app, I would be annoyed with myself if I could have avoided it and provided myself a defense by also using the authorised chart.

I agree with 172driver; I would absolutely no question NOT publish a chart at all which has some essential info missing, just because it needs more work to capture the data.

I think is where the problem comes from. Some people dont like the national charts, or they dont like how some software that uses them functions (AirNavPro has been mentioned). Enter SD (like others) who present a new uncluttered map, where you can show/hide various elements as you see fit. But then if you use that alone, you by your own customisation of the app, open yourself up to issues and possible prosecution if you do something stupid in the air. Thats why SD has the disclaimer of which part reads "This software is an aid to VFR flight planning and navigation only. It does not replace...."

If you use it in that spirit its fine. If you totally rely upon it you may have an issue.

And yes if PocketFMS can get it right, so should SD. We shouldnt be accepting anything less really. In one sense I wish I had tried Pocket FMS before buying SD. I actually 'won' a license and met dublinpilot 5 years ago or so, but mobile devices werent so hot, and it didnt really interest me much at the time. Things have moved on a lot. I'd use Jepp Mobile FliteDeck VFR for its consistency and accuracy, but at the moment it is a very inferior product compared to SD and PocketFMS and I wouldnt spend money on it.

Yet, somehow, Jepp managed to do it right. Can anyone dig out the Italian AIP where this airspace information is published?

I challenge that. The link refers to class A airspace around Elba and from a quick glance and comparison between SD and JeppFD on my Ipad both look the same TODAY - I don't know how they compared in June when this was originally posted on the SD forum.

All I say is "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah"

EDLN and EDKB

In one sense I wish I had tried Pocket FMS before buying SD. I actually 'won' a license and met dublinpilot 5 years ago or so, but mobile devices werent so hot, and it didnt really interest me much at the time.

Hi PA. I hadn't realised that we'd actuallly met! Small world ;) Where did we meet?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Hi PA. I hadn't realised that we'd actuallly met! Small world ;) Where did we meet?

It was at Panshanger, about 5 years ago on one of those nav challenge days. I recall my group and one other were neck and neck point wise, and there was some tie-break question about the number of NM from Panshanger to somewhere in Spain, and the other group went straight for the room with a very helpful map indicating such distances, allowing them to be extremely precise, while my group came up with a pretty poor guess and lost. Not that I am still bitter about that, lol. But they won the better prize (cant remember what it was), but my group did get a years license to use Pocket FMS, which was nice, but pre iPhone/ iPad type tablet days, and I never really used it much, which was a shame now I look back.

How can you 'absolutely love SD' but 'don't have confidence' in it?

It's like with women

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Ah Ok! I remember the event, but not the faces unfortunately! If we meet again, you'll have to say hi ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland
97 Posts
Sign in to add your message