Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to get Shell aviation avgas card? (and why do fuel cards exist)

Hi. I need to get Shell avgas card as its only way to use fuel station in Denmark.
I’m registered in Germany – if there is any representative in Germany for this?

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

I haven’t tried Denmark but at least in Norway in all fuel stations I tried so far that work with Shell Cards, an AirBP card also works.

Germany

I just don’t get it with these fuel cards… returning from the US doesn’t help either
Why in hell do we need these proprietary cards instead of just being able to feed the terminal with your favorite credit or debit card. Why? Is that just too much to ask for?

Excuse the thread drift…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Dan

Why in hell do we need these proprietary cards instead of just being able to feed the terminal with your favorite credit or debit card

Pretty simple reason: To help the energy company maintaining their margin by not adding a cost layer like credit card commissions to be paid to the credit card company…………
I mean, they have to eat too, and imagine they go belly up by not earning enough to run their operations…….. :-)

Last Edited by Marcel at 17 Nov 09:08
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

I feel the same frustration, and it’s not made any better by the fact that it’s clear these guys have one unmotivated part-timer processing new card applications. It took me ages to get my AirBP and Total cards, and I’ve had no success at all getting a Shell card. Really crazy.

EHRD, Netherlands

I thought that Shell cards actually didn’t exist any more, at least for Avgas.

My Shell card was not renewed about maybe 8-10 years ago. I have never needed one since. Before that, I very rarely used it at a couple of Danish airfields, that’s it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Dan wrote:

returning from the US doesn’t help either

It took us 3 credit cards to get one that worked with the machine of the fuel handler at CYRT – I would have loved to use the AirBP card. But ok, technically this is Canada, not the US ;-)

Jokes aside: If done like AirBP (no deposit, no base fees, you apply for it once and it is automatically renewed) I don’t have anything against fuel cards. The problem is more the fuels stations that only accept a single type of cards – which is not only a challenge if you do not have exactly that but a card can also be broken, etc.

Germany

I don’t buy anything from anyone that requires me to use their proprietary payment method. Quite simple really.

Thankfully the UK is the same as the US in this regard – you just use your credit card.

EGLM & EGTN

Sure, but then the UK does not have any self service/payment fuel pumps. So you always require some bloke to get the payment done. Fuelling in France is usually much quicker.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They are often self-service, but usually not pay-at-pump. You go inside to pay, and generally one is paying the landing fee anyway so fuel payment happens alongside that and it’s no hassle.

At my EGTN base it’s self-service and self (non) payment. You put your details and the amount in a paper log and you get an invoice.

My only experience outside the UK is getting fuel in a couple places in France, notably Dinard and La Rochelle. Both were much more hassle than anything in the UK.

EGLM & EGTN
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message