Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Obtaining Ukraine entry/overflight permit

For anyone interested in flying to Ukraine, here is how it's done. (Obviously you can always use a permit agent such as Flight service Worldwide, and it really isn't too expensive, but on the other hand I found that, at least in the case of Ukraine, it was rather straightforward, so why not do-it yourself?).

The procedure is laid out in the AIP, GEN1.2 (available from the EAD database). Private flights are requested to apply at least three days in advance. It seems to me that if you do it with shorter notice, they will usually give you permission nevertheless. Applications need to be sent (fax or email) to the "Flight Coordination Unit". Make sure you send it to the department for unscheduled flights. Don't be afraid, the people working there speak very solid English. However, the published email address (ckp at avia.gov.ua), is not quite the "correct" one; instead they say you should send it to ckp.intl at avia.gov.ua (it seems that this is to ensure that the application is directed towards their english-speaking staff).

In addition to all the usual flight information, they need the details of your aircraft insurance (in my case, they didn't require a copy of the insurance statement; it was sufficient to indicate: name of insurance carrier, maximum 3rd party liability coverage and expiration date). Once they have everything, they will issue a permission number which needs to be put into field 18 of the FPL. But: they will not send the permission number via email(!). Instead, they want you to call a few hours after sending the application, and will then tell you the number on the phone.

Permissions are issued to both VFR and IFR flights (in fact, the information that's required to be submitted in the application does not include the flight rules). However, to foreign operators, they will issue permits only for flights to or from (or between) international airports. If intending to use domnestic airports, they still require a navigator on board.

The permits are free of charge.

However, be warned about the fees at ukrainian airports. While Lviv (UKLL) was at the lower end of the scale (225€ in total), most airports are more like 350-500 Euros. There is also very little consistency, and it is often impossible to foresee the total amount before setting off.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I planned to fly to Odessa UKOO in 2007, and looking back through my emails with the airport, I see some comms (all by fax, nothing ever came back via email) with a handler caller AirLink International, showing an email of [email protected], tel +380 48 7192370, fax +380 48 7192371. My comms sent to the airport were passed to this company.

It looked like one of the (many) airports which have some impenetrable AIP data but if you contact one of the handlers directly, they "just sort it" and you can simply fly there.

I now see online that AirLink are still there but with apparently new numbers.

Air Link International (Agent)
Complete handling, fuel, hotel services, short notice landing clearances all available on 24/7 basis.
Sky Handling (Agent)
Sky Handling LLC offers ground handling and fuelling at contract prices. Ops 24/7. Permits less than 2 hrs before the flight. Exclusive hotel rates. VIP transport.

So it looks like the problems all exist if one wants to avoid handlers because then you end up facing the full bureaucratic might of the airport admin...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, it depends.

First of all, to avoid confusion we need to distinguish clearly between overflight permits and airport ground handling.

Yes, of course, the ground handlers offer to sort out the permits as part of their "package". But they will charge for that separately, so that doesn't make much sense (IF the permits can be sorted out DIY).

Re ground handling, it seems to depend on the airport in question. Most airport seem to require a "third party" specialized handling agent (à la Airlink), because you need someone to bring you through the immigration/customs process and open electronically closed doors for you. However, in the case of Lviv, the airport has its "own" ground handling personell (which is always good because tend to be less outrageously priced). And although we didn't make any prior arrangements with them, they were awaiting us at our parking position (they knew about us from our flightplan) and really admittedly did a good job (I rarely say this about the handling folks).

But again, there is no consistency. In was in Odessa 10 years ago; at the time it was 440 Euros (...and I can't believe it is less nowadays).

OK some experience from inside as I live in Ukraine and operate a N registered plane over here.

Getting the overfly permit without difficulties is a matter of chance. If you fall on the the right person who is in a good mood during that day, it will issue it directly. If not, you can call to the number that is in the AIP and if they pick up the phone and you get the right person who is in good mood, no issue. If nobody is picking up the phone during the 100 times that you tried to call, then you could end up in not having the permit issued on time. That happened to me once. And if you want to make any changes to your plans (e.g. weather, destination...), the nightmare begins!

So I now prefer to have a local company dealing with all interactions with issuing permit authorities. Cost USD100 for permit/flight plans/changes... Peace of mind is at this price :-)

Lvov (UKLL) is now expensive. Consequence of the Euro 2012 and a new terminal with mandatory handling. 3 years ago, you could end up paying 20EUR for landing and overnight stay. So all major international airports in Ukraine (UKLL, UKKK, UKOO, UKBB, UKCC, UKFF...) are EUR100/2 seater - EUR150/4seater minimum just for landing. If you want to go through customs cheaper and your final destination is inside the country, you can always land in smaller international aiports like UKLR or UKWW. There, the fees are 10 times cheaper than in the big ones. And then continue your route to the aeroclub near the city you want to visit. There you can get 100LL or mogas (not available at international airports). There is even the opportunity to land at UKKM - Antonov International airport - where the Mrya (AN225) is based and make a picture with your plane near to the biggest plane in the world. The cost there is also around 10EUR, but you need a special permission. I can arrange that if you contact me offline :-)

Anyway, you can end up having real fun! Last w-e, I met a Dutch pilot who ferried a plane from Lelystad to Kiev and after 3 days staying here, I saw him at the aeroclub in the evening already telling toasts with 100gram of vodka in the hand :-)

It is clear that the situation in Ukraine has improved a lot during the last years. When I started to fly here 6 years ago, you needed special flight permit for every flight and every plane coming from abroad needed to have an Ukrainian pilot aboard if wanted to fly outside international airports. Now in class G, you are just free (no flight plan) and the controllers speak excellent English.

Belgium

and every plane coming from abroad needed to have an Ukrainian pilot aboard if wanted to fly outside international airports.

To my knowledge (and according to the AIP) this is still the case...

To my knowledge (and according to the AIP) this is still the case...

The Ukrainian AIP doesn't always reflect Ukrainian airlaws and reality. That's where the fun begins! Example Current AIP states with page last updated in 2008 (VFR flying rules): 17. To perform VFR flights in flight information zone (FIZ) within Class G airspace aircraft shall submit an application to the State Aviation Administration and Ukrainian Air Defence Force.

A 2 years old circular states: 7.4 When flight planning and performing the VFR flight within the airspace Class G the users of the airspace should not ask conditions for airspace usage except of flights are performing inside the temporary segregated (reserved) airspace, where ATC are provided by Military ATS Units or other State ATS Units, and also when flights are planning and performing inside the zone with the special terms of the airspace usage

And when you fly VFR without flight plan from my airfield (around Kiev) to an airfield in Crimea in class G, the Crimean controller is not happy as he sees no flight plan when all the ones from other regions are very happy to help you and give you the meteo conditions!

Belgium

The Ukrainian AIP doesn't always reflect Ukrainian airlaws and reality

Does any AIP?

Not a single one.

The AIP is a compilation of opinions and wishes of a load of people or bodies, each of whom "owns" a piece of national aviation policy, but none of whom runs any airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The original post is about a year old and back then there was no shooting taking place in the eastern part of the Ukrain. As I touched base with an old contact (not aviation related) there, I wonder how the things mentioned have changed since then.

Has anyone flown to places like Livv (UKLL) recently?

Frequent travels around Europe

I know our aircraft insurance for Ukraine was withdrawn. Actually it was withdrawn before the airliner was shot down. Anyone thinking about going to Ukraine needs to check this out.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Hi Stephan, I landed in Lvov in April this year.
No issue in this part of the country.Basically if you stay out of the orange/red/violet in this map, that should be OK
Link

The insurance is a good point to check.

Jacques.

Belgium
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message