Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Video on uncontrolled IFR in Sweden

@Peter, if you’ve booked your PPR to, say, EGMC, then they will allow you to enter CTR and proceed with IAP, so that covers 5, and then 3 to some degree.

EGTR

Fly310 wrote:

It is amazing to see that the aircraft did not explode midair despite you taking off from an unmanned airport and you flew IFR in Golf airspace. This would probably be worth letting the LBA know. :)

They might argue the automatic drop-below-ground-and-lock-a-lid-on-top mechanism for the airfield outside opening hours must have failed and has to be repaired.

Peter wrote:

This is guaranteed by a special version of atmospheric physics in Germany.

That’s a new one and worth considering as plausible argument for the special circumstances. Thank you!

Germany

Peter wrote:

legally fly in IMC (and thus IFR) in Class G

Just came into my mind: which countries did define IFR procedures for airfields in Class G?
Flying in G is one part of the story, but the more interesting – imho – is take off and landings.

Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

Just came into my mind: which countries did define IFR procedures for airfields in Class G?

Finland has since earlier this year published IAP to two uncontrolled airfields, EFSO and EFLA. I have not heard of any other country that has published approaches, although a lot of work is going on in several countries at the moment. I hope that Sweden will have its first published procedures late next year.

ESSZ, Sweden

MichaLSA wrote:

Some in the UK for sure, plus the new EASA rules say that under Part-NCO you could do it yourself. @Airborne_Again, please correct me if I’m wrong.

EGTR

Fly310 wrote:

Finland has since earlier this year published IAP to two uncontrolled airfields, EFSO and EFLA. I have not heard of any other country that has published approaches, although a lot of work is going on in several countries at the moment. I hope that Sweden will have its first published procedures late next year.

To be precise, we’re talking about airfields without any ATS – neither ATC nor AFIS. Many countries (Germany included) have published IAPs to airports in class G but with AFIS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

which countries did define IFR procedures for airfields in Class G?

France does not require ATC/AFIS to fly ILS/RNP down to circling minima and it allow IFR takeoffs in zero ceilings with 550m without ATC/AFIS…you are still required to have an active flight plan and make radio contact when reaching some altitude. You may need to speak French though to fly uncontrolled IFR near aerodromes (like VFR to “FR only airports” without AFIS or ATC)

I gather flying in hardcore weather to make straight in landing in small grass strips using GPS while talking English on radio would make you famous in most European countries

For flying IFR in Golf away from aerdromes, I don’t think anyone cares at all? you are not required to speak on radio or file flight plan? all you need is an IFR equipped aircraft and IR rated pilot and awareness of airspace including Airways and Echo

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Mar 14:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

For flying IFR in Golf away from aerdromes, I don’t think anyone cares at all? you are not required to speak on radio or file flight plan? all you need is an IFR equipped aircraft and IR rated pilot and awareness of airspace including Airways and Echo

Each state can require radio contact and/or flight plans for IFR in class G. (E.g. Sweden requires both above 5000 ft.)

Ibra wrote:

and it allow IFR takeoffs in zero ceilings with 550m without ATC/AFIS

@Ibra, why is that? Does it come from a that requirement that all the T/O below 550m require a stop bar (which obviously requires someone in the tower, unlike the guard lights)? Is there some other rule?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Does it come from a that requirement that all the T/O below 550m require a stop bar (which obviously requires someone in the tower, unlike the guard lights)? Is there some other rule?

A reason could be that the Air Ops regulation defines T/O below 550 m as a low-visibility operation.

Sign in to add your message