Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN650 Undocumented Feature?

Got caught our by this the other day.

If you go direct to a FAF (to an approach you have loaded) from more than 45deg off the centre line, the “unsuspend” button appears(and of course the a/c goes straight on, unless cancelled)) I usually go to the centre fix so have never noticed it before.

The manual mentions it appearing at the MAP and holds, but can find nothing else about 45deg(per Garmin with whom I queried the behaviour)
Is it just me?….and why would you want this behaviour specifically when going to a FAF?…

This feature can be demonstrated on the trainer prog.

Last Edited by PeteD at 18 Mar 17:55
EGNS, Other

The behaviour you mention is described in the PPL/IR PBN manual.

BTW, when did you get a routing direct to the FAF? There is an “approach gate” one mile from the FAF. ATC should never vector to intercept the approach course inside the gate, i.e. less than one mile from the FAF. If the intercept angle is more than 20°, then the approach course intercept should be at least 2 miles outside the gate.

LSZK, Switzerland

Self positioned to faf, about 8 miles out. Ils was out so NDB faf was the only point available. Managed 40 years of ifr flight, really don’t see the point to this behaviour with faf.

EGNS, Other

PeteD wrote:

Self positioned to faf, about 8 miles out. Ils was out so NDB faf was the only point available. Managed 40 years of ifr flight, really don’t see the point to this behaviour with faf.

The GNS series and G1000 series navigators were more insistent that you not go direct to the FAF on a GPS approach. They will not sequence the approach at the FAF and will generate the message “Approach is not active” if you select direct to the FAF.

KUZA, United States

when did you get a routing direct to the FAF?

It has been a couple of years now, but it used to be fairly common when going into KPAO (Palo Alto CA) from the north to get Direct PUDBY, i.e. the FAF.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

It has been a couple of years now, but it used to be fairly common when going into KPAO (Palo Alto CA) from the north to get Direct PUDBY, i.e. the FAF.

This has long since been prohibited by the controller manual 7110.65.

KUZA, United States

This has long since been prohibited by the controller manual 7110.65.

I guess that would be a discussion to have with Norcal Approach. I’m just a pilot, I just do what I’m told.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

I guess that would be a discussion to have with Norcal Approach. I’m just a pilot, I just do what I’m told.

I would refuse a clearance direct to the FAF.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message