Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Running PA38 on Mogas

Hi everyone. New to this forum!

I’m also on PPruNe, but I though this might be a more appropriate (and less aggressive!) place to ask some questions regarding GA.

OK, so, basically I have looked into using Mogas and found out that it can expand and create gas bubbles in your fuel lines if you take off from a hot place and climb to where it is cooler. But being based in Scotland would this really be an issue? I mean, it’s – on average- about 10C on the ground here at the moment.

Thanks for any replies.

SF.

Hi Scenic Flyer,

Welcome to EuroGA. You’ll find this place much less aggressive than the other forum you mention. (Just don’t insult the Socata TB20 on it’s performance and the parachute of the Cirrus SR20/22)

I would say that it should be no problem, but looking on this site: [Auto Fuel STC Approved Engines and Airframes](http://www.autofuelstc.com/approved_engines_airfames.phtml) the PA38 is not listed.

I believe the engine in the Tomahawk is the same as on the Cessna 152, but perhaps because of the different fuel system (fuel in the Piper needs a pump, where the Cessna can use gravity) it’s not possible to use mogas.

I’ve flown different PA28 types and all where STC’d to run on mogas, but I think it’s strange the PA38 is not listed on the website above.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

When looking on planecheck, I saw that this Tomahawk is allowed to run on mogas. So I assume it’s possible.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

It can definately be done on the Tomahawk. If you cannot find the STC I would be happy to ask the ( now ex- ) owner of the PH-ABB.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

>Just don’t insult the Socata TB20 on it’s performance and the parachute of the Cirrus SR20/22

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

> But being based in Scotland would this really be an issue?

I fly a Jodel DR1050 (low wing but with gravity feed from front tank to O200 engine) from Inverness. I’ve had vapour lock on starting the take-off run – the engine revs increased to 1500 then decreased until the engine stopped. That was on a warm summer afternoon, after the aircraft had been left into wind after a flight. The gascolator was filled with froth. The fuel at the top of the tank was below 20C before startup. Fortunately it was a long runway.

The Pa38 might have more problems if left in the sun due to its wing tanks.
More of an issue is the increased likelyhood of carb ice. I now start the take-off run with carb heat in some situations.

However Tesco is much cheaper than BP Avgas, and has only once failed to pass the CAA alcohol test. This is NOT the case everywhere – check with the depot.
You might need to change some fuel supply components to get CAA Mogas approval – look at an FAA approved STC for evidence for the CAA.
We’ve been on mogas for over 20 years, apart from a short period between 4* going out and EN228 – 95RON getting approved.

[quote formatting fixed]

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

How did I get that formatting??? I did preview it.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

To make a quote into a quote, so to speak, just put a single > in front of it.

Don’t have more than 1 or 2 spaces after the > character.

You had a second > a bit further down.

David and I are testing new forum software which will address a lot of stuff that has been causing persistent problems with text formatting on EuroGA, so this will change anyway soon.

For example the Quotes button currently works only on the first paragraph of a multi paragraph quote, but that is being fixed.

Indeed – EuroGA is a far more polite forum and we are going to keep it that way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

oh I love my days of flight teaining in the pa38. lovely trainibg aircraft. shame they cant bring out a mark 3 with some of the bugs fixed.

as far as I am aware its not approved for mogas although I have heard if people runing the right tank with avgss for rake iff and landing and the left full of asda unleaded for the cruise.

> EuroGA is a far more polite forum and we are going to keep it that way.

Agreed! And may I also insist on a certain minimum level of grammar/spelling/punctuation?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message