Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Service Ceiling

17500 feet. Should know it . It’s in the book (chapter 2).
The later turbocharged models have a higher max operating altitude.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Nov 17:43
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You are right Sebastian, that is exactly what I did when flying over the alps from Germany to the island of Corsika. Due to clouds much higher than forecast from PCmet I tried to overfly them by climbing up from FL180 to FL200 but this was not enough. I asked for FL 210 and got the clearance immediately. Still climbing with 500ft/min I realized the TOPs where a few thousands higher when a Jet asked for FL260 . In that moment I felt uncertain if the engine would quit at higher altitude because the SC is 20000ft . Oxygen isn`t an issue since I have a mask and an extra tank for any emergency. Finally I had to circumnavigate the clouds while descending back to the filed level. Does anybody know if a turbo-engine stops running when one exceeds the SC ? Is this a potential danger ?

Berlin, Germany

The engine will not stop but there are things to consider. thinner air will insulate less. Any minor problem with your ignition will get a lot worse above FL200. We once had a set of spark plaus that ran fine below but was running rough that far up. The same applies to all components of the ignition system. The Magnetos of our plane are therefore pressurized.
Then with a turbocharger you have to watch out not to over rev it. When the air gets thinner it will have to rev faster and faster to produce the same manifold pressure. On our plane we have a manifold pressure limit which decreases with altitude. Depending on the turbo it can also be that even below this limit it will not rev any higher so manifold pressure will fall like in normaly aspirated engine and you have to lean a little.
Besides you require 8,33 radios above FL195 already today but I do not know it anybody will complain. In Germany getting aclearance up to FL240 is quite easy. The controller is the same who owns airspace below but above 245 the upper airspace starts and they do not like to do a handover for FL250.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

>17500 feet. Should know it . It’s in the book (chapter 2). The later turbocharged models have a higher max operating altitude.

Oh, right! I mixed it up. But I know that the NA SR22 was flight tested up to FL240 without any problems. I think it has to do with the certification

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 07 Nov 21:44

…also above FL280 you need RVSM equipment and approval…?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

“Pressurized magnetos and ignition system” – these are new aspects for me. The TB21 has a SC of 25000 ft, also the Cirrus with turbocharger but I am not really sure about. Does the TB21 and/or the Cirrus have pressurized magnetos and if so is this the reason for the higher SC ?

Berlin, Germany

Would anyone here offer an opinion on two different wordings in the 182T and the T182T (turbocharged) POHs?

The 182T manual lists a “service ceiling” of 18.100ft
The T182T manual has a “maximum operating altitude” of 20.000ft

Is it only me or is there a hint that the service ceiling (i.e. climb limit of 50/100ft) of the T182T may be higher but “operation” is limited by other factors?

EDLN and EDKB

The 182T manual lists a “service ceiling” of 18.100ft
The T182T manual has a “maximum operating altitude” of 20.000ft

Take note of where in the POH you are seeing than information. If you are reading “maximum operating…” in section 2, “Limitations” it is limiting. Thou shalt not exceed. There will be wording there which says that, though Cessna did not highlight this well.

You’re probably finding the “service ceiling” in the specifications or performance sections of the POH, which are not limiting, they are information only

If in doubt, don’t do something which contradicts anything in section 2, limitations, otherwise, operate the aircraft with good judgement

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Does exceeding the maximum operating altitude run the high risk of stalling the aircraft in straight and level flight?
Is there enough air for the wings to produce enough lift given the thrust the engine produces?

Last Edited by at 12 Nov 15:26
Does exceeding the maximum operating altitude run the high risk of stalling the aircraft in straight and level flight?
Is there enough air for the wings to produce enough lift given the thrust the engine produces?

If you can climb to the altitude without stalling, how would you stall in S&L flight?

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message