Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Joining the visual circuit in your country

With ATIS: Told usually circuit direction on initial contact and “Report xxx” request. Later: " land at your discretion."

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

ch.ess wrote:

If I hear that you are at a certain distance to the airfield or, as an example, on the downwind leg, I might still roll up and take off.
Would that not be OK (in NOrway) ?

Certainly not OK. But the situation is artificially constructed, it wouldn’t happen. The AIP explains all this. The whole point is that when you receive a “runway free”, you can use it without others coming on your way. In your example, you would have received a “runway occupied”, meaning you are not to use the runway. It’s just that I wouldn’t get a “runway free” far out there if there are other traffic closer.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I would only go and land with eyes closed if I hear “runway is exclusive” as it seems better than “runway is free” ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Sep 22:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks – as a follow up question: to what extent does that transfer the/any responsibility to the AFIS personnel ? (We are not talking ATC)

EDM_, Germany

Thanks – as a follow up question: to what extent does that transfer the/any responsibility to the AFIS personnel ? (We are not talking ATC)

None whatsoever. Think of them as an information IO relay kind of transaction thing. The largest users of these AFIS airports are airlines and ambulance aircraft. The system is ancient, it has “always” been like this AFAIK, since the 1950-60s at least. It’s the (commercial) pilots and companies who want it like this, and this is how it is. I got no better explanation.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Does anyone know what the standard joining instructions are in Ireland? Is that an overhead join?

Charlie_Alpha
EHBD, Netherlands

There isn’t a standardised join. Most of use are thought the “Standard overhead join” from the UK and this is widely used. However each airfield is likely to have their own variation on the theme!

The regional airports (those with ATC or AFIS-not air to ground/radio), are likely to be happy with a downwind, base or even straight in join/approach.

Assume it’s the same as the UK standard overhead join, unless told differently. Each airport requires you to obtain PPR, so you can ask them when calling, how they’d like you to join. Excepting those airports which are very close to controlled airspace, no one is likely to get too upset at how you join, so long as you say what you’re doing.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

The regional airports (those with ATC or AFIS-not air to ground/radio), are likely to be happy with a downwind, base or even straight in join/approach.

Thank you, dublinpilot. I see you are stationed at EIWT. I plan to fly there next Friday. My question arose when I read “Standard Joining instructions apply” at Newcastle (EINC). But good to read that flying in Ireland is still lovely and relaxed

Charlie_Alpha
EHBD, Netherlands
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message