Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Joining the visual circuit in your country

I have been asked by the European GA Safety Team EGAST to gather together information about how different countries legislate/advise people to join the visual circuit.

I wonder if people could post links to helpful documents from their home countries that could be collated, or, even better, post the relevant text on here, so that it can be gathered together quite quickly.

Thank you!

EGKB Biggin Hill

I know Peter is going to hate this but this is the UK join procedure.

Link

I hope I’ve got the link procedure correct

Last Edited by jxk at 09 Nov 14:28
jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

Timothy,

I found something on your question in the German AIP VFR, part AD 1-3 and 1-4, Flight Procedures. My copy is dated September 2007 so it might not be the latest version but I doubt that something has changed since. I will send a pdf with an excerpt from the AIP to you via e-mail.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

In Canada, the rules say overhead to the mid (usually left) downwind, or straight in to the downwind. If there is no traffic, straight in, or joining to the base is tolerated, provided you’re entirely willing to give way to circuit traffic, and join a proper circuit.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

In NL a 90 degree join to mid downwind is the norm

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I always like the overhead landing pattern or overhead approach pattern:

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

@ 0fficer: as I read the request, it is not about our own preferences, but about official ruling.

Regarding that: I found nothing in our Belgian AIP, though one never knows in what corner what info is tucked away. I took the PPL ground class a few years ago, and have no memory of pattern entry rules. As I understand it, the matter belongs to the aerodrome’s household rules, rather than to the rules of the air. That said, most fields round here have very strict rules, especially about where to fly the pattern, and visiting pilots really should make sure they know and understand them. The explanation is of course that we are a small country and very densely populated, so that we have a largish nimby population. If once an airfield operator managed to get around them, it was at the cost of strict procedures, and these nimby’s have the time and the motivation to watch AND to act whenever they see a chance.

Most Belgian airfield operators publish the circuit, with elaborate comments, on their website, and it is really required to study these before take-off, so as to have the picture in mind when arriving. For a striking and critical example, consult http://rvg.be/Picts/EBGB_VAC01.pdf

I remember well last August a G-reg Jodel approached my home field more or less like in the 3-d sketch in jxk’s link – that was a serious violation of the house rules, and I hope for that pilot I was the only one to observe the frolics. Luckily it was early in the morning.

Last Edited by at 09 Nov 18:15
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

And for those who like overhead joins: please do remember there are fields where gliders are winch-launched – these cables are rumoured to be extremely effective at shearing through the average SEP. Never ever NEVER join overhead at EBKH Keiheuvel, for just one example.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In NL a 90 degree join to mid downwind is the norm

The same applies to many BE fields – but I was taught that officially one ought to join downwind at its beginning, not in the middle. Have a gut feeling this must refer to ICAO ruling, but have no facts to go by.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Link is the link for NL

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message