Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots fly with what types of approach plates?

With regard to gCap plates, I personally only use them if a) I have cross checked them thoroughly against the latest AIP plate b) I write on any information that is either missing, or is not in a place that suits me.

I am interested to know what information is ‘missing’ on the gcap plates, other than the info for aircraft other than class A?

Goodwood

And even then you get a lateral picture but no vertical picture.

You’re right but at least it eases the vizualization of your position against nav aids included in particular approach/departure.

Also I am not sure if the lateral picture is 100% complete for all European navaid-based approaches (I don’t have a GNS box). I do know that historically a lot of stuff was missing. For example an ILS approach might in some cases be shown as only the line from the FAF to the MAP, so you did not have the outbound portion of a procedural (standard) approach.

It’s often case with SIDs when you don’t have complete path drawn but only portion of line to-from nav aid marking track you have to establish towards or from it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I just learned about this site:
Link
It looks quite useful, although I’m normally using Jepp TC for approach charts etc.

Last Edited by blueline at 06 Feb 11:53
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

That site evidently downloads the free AIP charts from the Eurocontrol EAD website. I know somebody who scripted that site, years ago, and downloaded everything. About 20-30GB An interesting discovery that was their login was just a fake – if you looked at the HTML you could just go straight in. Clearly they didn’t pay their programmer the Brussels rate of €300k p.a. plus entertainment expenses. They changed it soon after that… But they do pay him enough to make him put a variable token into the URL, to prevent people bookmarking the charts.

If you download any of the PDFs and look at the download link, you see the EAD source e.g.

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-77A2A0387F57F7477E6AD3B5F0BB3093/CVMQCRAWTGB4K/EN/Charts/AD/NON_AIRAC/LG_AD_2_%20LGST_IAC-1_en_2011-03-10.pdf

In fact it seems to be just a collection of links. The chart gets downloaded straight from EAD. So…. now I get it! They merely create a synchronised copy of the URLs, to get around the stupid randomly variable tokens in the EAD site.

The site (or EAD) is also incomplete. A quick look at my favourite destination – LGST – shows several missing pages. Also – to highlight why some people sell their grandmother to use Jepps – compare the ghastly VOR approach from the Greek AIP with the Jepp version.

What you can bookmark is the base airport URL e.g.

https://charts.aero/airport/LGST

So that’s a very useful site.

This

shows why Greek pilots never bust minima

One thing is interesting however. The EGKA RNAV 02 plate shows as having been updated 7 Feb 2013. However the current Jepp plate for that one is 13 April 2012. This is a new one for me because I thought that the Jepp dates would always track the AIP publication (which is ostensibly where Jepp get the data from) but evidently there are exceptions – perhaps where Jepp judge the changes do not warrant a new plate.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Feb 12:29
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

to get around the stupid randomly variable tokens in the EAD site

I am not quite sure what that is, bur personally, I find that since they started the HTML version of the site, it has become very painless, easy and quick.

The site (or EAD) is also incomplete.

I am not aware of EAD being incomplete. Maybe in the case of Greece, but you know that is a special case (the AIP hasn’t become available until recently).

Jepp judge the changes do not warrant a new plate.

That’s how they work.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Feb 12:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Jeppesen IFR and VFR on MFD (Avidyne EX5000) and on 2 iPads (4 retina and ipad mini). For longer flights I print out the most important Charts in A4 and put them in a folder that’s in the pocket of the right seat.

Very expensive, but I don’t see a point in NOT having the active charts on the MFD. In my eyes one of the best safety features of a glass cockpit is to actualy SEE the airplane on the approach chart.

Bringing this thread up again.

Musing over what charts I should use after getting back off the floor seeing the jeppesen pricing for Jepview IFR. 2500€ per year? No way, not for the flying I do.

As I will be getting a Garmin 695, there is a thing called Flightcharts. Is that something worth looking at? How does it work in Europe?

I also saw that the charts aero site was forced out of business. Is there something similar new?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yes, it’s crazy to buy JeppView, although I do. Why? Because there’s no other way to have the LIVE charts on the MFD.

I use Jepp. In Europe they are more valuable than in the US as they provide good, standardised info.

EGTK Oxford

I use Jepp as well. I get the charts on my GTN750, GPS695 and iPad. If you pay the GTN subscription, the extra for the GPS695 is almost nothing.

Last Edited by chrisparker at 06 Feb 22:10
Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message