Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which countries in Europe ban "I" flight plans to non-IFR airports?

I know Germany does. Has to be Z or Y.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Netherlands does.

It gets even worse: Lelystad EHLE is an IFR airfield, with published SIDs, STARs and IAPs.
But try to validate a route to or from EHLE. It will fail if you depart or arrive during daytime.
You need to file Z or Y.

Even Denmark does, though they didn’t until about four or five years ago.

In fact, it does make certain sense that Germany doesn’t allow India plans to fields withouts IAPs, because they (currently) ban IFR flights in airspace Golf and (virtually) all airfields without IAPs lie in airspace Golf. But countries like Denmark don’t. Yet even there, one can no longer file India to fields without IAPs.

It’s that damn thinking that flying IFR requires IAPs, SIDs, etc. In these terms, the UK is really lightyears ahead of all the others.

Italy is the same: no India plans to non-IAP airfields, even though according to the AIP, IFR in airspace is allowed…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Nov 11:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Croatia as well.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Departing on an I-flightplan is OK from all airports in Sweden. Not certain when it comes to the destination aerodrome, I’ve always filed an Y-flightplan.

Martin, you won’t get an IFR approach clearance if the tower is closed. I was VFR and tried to refile into ESOW in dodgy weather, but Sthlm said no dice.

ESSE

Any update on this old but very useful thread?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

martin-esmi wrote:

Departing on an I-flightplan is OK from all airports in Sweden. Not certain when it comes to the destination aerodrome

Sweden basically accepts I flight plans to and from all airports. The few exceptions are airports that have lost their IFR status – you have to file Y or Z to/from these (e.g. ESGP, ESSK). I guess it also depends on when they lost their IFR status. Airports that I believe lost their instrument approaches a long time ago — probably before these checks were introduced — still work with I flight plans.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Leeds East (EGCM) has a RAD forbidding IFR operations, still trying to work that one out..

Last time I checked, Norway allowed I plans to and from private airfields, but not to or from public airfields without published IFR procedures.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message