Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to get a list of European airports with LPV approaches?

I am hoping to be able to see whether LPV is becoming operationally relevant – specifically by looking for ones with LPV and ILS, or LPV and no ILS. Plus Customs.

In Jepp Flitestar you get just this in the airport filter

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Try the GSA who would want to trumpet every EGNOS-based approach they can.

Or ESSP and see link to list at bottom of page.

Many thanks – I have emailed them (nothing readily apparent on their website).

The next job would be to get a list of airports for which the Jepp GPS database (GNS “W” and GTN boxes) contains an LNAV+V approach. That is more difficult, but IMHO almost as useful.

Edit: just seen your 2nd post. The PDF there is interesting. 2 and a bit pages, and about 90 blank pages!

France and Germany lead the list by a huge margin. I wonder why…

Last Edited by Peter at 16 Jan 11:54
Administrator

There is the eurocontrol PBN implementation graphical tool (requires registration) (see screenshot below)
And it seems now also..ICAO has a tool somehow..

http://gis.icao.int/PBN/

Last Edited by Vref at 16 Jan 12:14
EBST

Most of these airports are still the big ones, which have ILS, etc.
It looks like the cases where

-an RNAV approach with LPV is the only approach available, or
-where LPV allows for significantly lower minima than the other exisiting approaches

are still very few. Amiens seems to be the only place in France. Alderney on the CI.
The only place where LPV makes sense is Germany. We have about two handfuls of the above kind here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Jan 12:35
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s amazing to see the abyss in the FIR of EBBU ….

However when you select LNAV then it’s not so bad (much more dot’s)..except EBBU then….

Last Edited by Vref at 16 Jan 12:19
EBST

Come on, you have lived here for a good while now, havent’ you, what else had you expected? The days are long gone when our little country spearheaded technological progress, more’s the pity.

The one airfield that might consider the cost is Kortrijk EBKT – their ILS was never more than the absolute minimum, or so I understand, and the new technology must be less expensive to operate and to calibrate, or so I hope for them.

Last Edited by at 16 Jan 12:22
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Come on, you have lived here for a good while now, havent’ you, what else had you expected? The days are long gone when our little country spearheaded technological progress, more’s the pity.

I guess the money when to pay some governmental CEO’s discharge fee… and btw is it Federal, Local or both governments you need to approval for but let’s not get political here…

Last Edited by Vref at 16 Jan 12:27
EBST

I am looking at LPV from the point of view of whether it is worth spending the money to get it.

Realistically it is £20k for a decent fit (not a little GPS which just ticks the box). Obviously one would make sure it delivers PRNAV (RNAV1) also.

Any “IFR” aircraft can fly an ILS and fly it hands-off using the autopilot. So LPV is going to be relevant only where there is no ILS – except two cases

• when the ILS might be INOP (but then they will lose approx 100% of AOC business i.e. lots of €€€€€ so they are sure to fix it fast)
  • when the LPV might offer a lower DH than the ILS (is that possible?)

LNAV+V is perhaps more applicable, because you get an ILS-like glideslope, with autopilot guidance too, down to the MAP. Currently there is an issue with these approaches: Jepp have withdrawn them for airports that publish a specific different type of GPS approach. But they do offer a lower workload way of getting down. Their MDH is not particularly low; maybe 500ft for an IAP on flat ground. But there are far more of these around – potentially every GPS/LNAV approach can have the +V mode enabled.

Last Edited by Peter at 16 Jan 12:32
Administrator
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message