Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight Director

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, could it be that your spare is the variant for 8° panel tilt? (P/N 060-0017-01 rather than -00)?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Until you figure it out Peter, why not swap L/R? The RH one appears to be fine.

As not using the FD to fly, that is a pity I think.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

They are not the same. LH is vacuum KI256 and RH is electric. Different connectors etc.

Good point Ultranomad. I will check. But both were installed previously, several times. The fix is just 2 resistors…

Administrator

The FD deflection is not related to the instrument orientation

The “photocell” senses the FD deflection and provides feedback.

The pitch/roll pickoff coils (bent LVDTs basically) come straight out and don’t feed any internal circuits.

Administrator

Maybe time to consider a G5… or similar.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

G5 wont work a GI275 might….I am not sure if the glass is more reliable. You need a test bench for that KI256 :-)

EBST

Blimey, talk about making life hard for yourself, why wouldn’t you use the flight director?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Quote why wouldn’t you use the flight director?

I’ve never understood FDs. If I want the AP to fly my plane, I’ll press the button. If I want to fly it myself, that’s what I’ll do. I just don’t see the interest in replacing a bunch of servos with myself.

FDs remind me of the silly light on the dashboard of my car that wants to tell me when to change gear. If I wanted the car to decide when to change gear, I’d have bought an automatic. (Well, I would have done anyway, except it wasn’t available for the car I wanted).

LFMD, France

Indeed. Using the FD keeps the entire autopilot system – except the servos – in the loop, so if the AP has packed up, the FD won’t work either. Also, on the KFC225, if the power-up tests of the servos fail, the whole system is useless.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message