Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Farnborough Controlled Airspace Proposal

The main issue here is that a “commons” – airspace – gets fenced off from general use for the commercial benefit of others. It does not really matter how rich and poor the passengers are – Southend was done for Easyjet’s passengers, it’s the sheer principle of it.

Being granted control over a commons, even if for safety reasons, should come with an obligation to give access to all comers, not just your clients.

And that is the intent – you can get clearances. Southend have played that very nicely. Before class D, they have always been more than happy to provide a radar service in their vicinity, asked traffic in class G nicely to adjust track or level avoid conflict with commercial traffic, and continued to operate that way when they got their class D airspace.

Let’s give Farnborough the benefit of the doubt – they might very well do the same, and all it needs is a bit more radio work.

Biggin Hill

JasonC wrote:

remain below 2000 feet until instructed by Radar

Sometimes it is just the way it is phrased. Someone objecting to the “instruction” might be tempted to respond “remaining below 2,000ft since you asked so nicely”, but really, why have a row over how a request is phrased you are happy to comply with?

When dealing with military controllers, either in a MATZ or receiving MARS over Norfolk, I advise them what I am doing, and sometimes they respond by giving “clearances” and “approvals”. I don’t need clearance or approval, they know it, I know it, but they spend all day giving clearances to military traffic, it’s just habit.

Biggin Hill

When departing form Fairoaks, it’s not unusual to get “Farnborough requests no higher than 1,400’ due to [incoming/departing] traffic” and you usually get a “thank you” from Farnborough once they tell you you can go higher. It’s all very polite. Only downside is they sometimes forget to let you know they’re ok with your climb, so usually on passing my message I add “let me know when ok to climb above 1400, Nxxx”.

EGTF, LFTF

JasonC wrote:

Were they trying to impose or just asking?

From any practical perspective they were instructing rather than asking, but with just enough ambiguity in the wording to escape censure if the regulator had been listening in.

It takes a confident and assertive pilot to say no to them.

EGLM & EGTN

JasonC wrote:

Charlie wrote:
They do that at Oxford too, particularly on departure: “remain below 2000 feet until instructed by Radar” (exact sentence used)
Yes but they do it because they know there is another aircraft at 2500 inbound. It isn’t always a negative to have that advice.

I don’t think that’s a problem if you are departing Oxford – one can reasonably expect to be separated from inbounds. Indeed, while you’re still inside the ATZ the controller can impose such a restriction on you.

The difference with Farnborough (and it is a big difference, the scenarios are not alike at all) is that the aircraft being ‘instructed’ have nothing to do with Farnborough at all, nor do they want anything to do with them.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

The difference with Farnborough (and it is a big difference, the scenarios are not alike at all) is that the aircraft being ‘instructed’ have nothing to do with Farnborough at all, nor do they want anything to do with them.

I see that. Oxford generally only limit transiting aircraft if they wish to actually transit the ATZ which of course they can do. I have never had a problem with them limiting me in or out. But you have to remember that you are OCAS as it is easy to feel like you are CAS based on the language used.

EGTK Oxford

Just as they got their CAS, TAG sold the airport

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Like not putting your aircraft up for sale until you’ve got your new annual?
Perhaps Macquarie made an offer conditional on getting the airspace.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

And perhaps TAG got a better price because of it.

Egnm, United Kingdom

An update on the situation that is coming soon.

Implementation of the new airspace will be on 27th February 2020. Controllers are currently being trained on how to route VFR traffic through Farnborough airspace.

The full information will be published officially in January.

If you fly through this area make sure you are up to date when the changes are implemented.

The airspace structure, won’t be simple, although it seems that all the interested parties are working hard to make it accessible to everyone.

EGLK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message