Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FCC radio telephone operators permit / radio station license

How long is the personal FCC license valid for? Mine has no expiry date on it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, it’s good for life.

My dad had one in the 70s before they phased out FCC radio paperwork for US domestic pilots and planes. His would still be good for use outside of the US.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Feb 05:28

And as on this subject all who flys/own an N reg aircraft make sure that you have a Noise Certaficate, it is mandatory. I don’t have a link at the moment but you will be able to find one on the FAA site somewhere, then you fill it with your aircraft details.

Ben

Here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The BIG question is….is it possible in Europe to fly a N reg aircraft from A to B and be completely legal?

Actually, I should say….in any aircraft?

Its needed to comply with some ICAO treaty provision or something

Nothing to do with ICAO. The requirement for a radio operator to be licensed is mandated in the International Telecomunications Union (ITU) General Radio Regulations (RR) Article 37

37.1 1 1) The service of every aircraft station and every aircraft earth station shall
be controlled by an operator holding a certificate issued or recognized by the govenunent to
which the station is subject. Provided the station is so controlled, other persons besides the
holder of the certificate may use the radiotelephone equipment.

37.30 2) For aircraft radiotelephone stations and aircraft earth stations operating
on frequencies allocated exclusively to the aeronautical mobile service or the aeronautical
mobile-satellite service, each administration may itself fix the conditions for obtaining a
radiotelephone operator’s restricted certificate, provided that the operation of the transmitter
requires only the use of simple external switching devices. The administration shall ensure that
the operator has an adequate knowledge of radiotelephone operation and procedure particularly
as far as distress, urgency and safety are concerned.

It could be the International House of Pancakes for all I care. Link

I’m just happy that I don’t have to mess around with it, for me or my planes.

It could be the International House of Pancakes for all I care.

Unfortunately, this sort of attitude has prevailed throuhout the Aviation World and that is why we now have over regulation and all the English Language nonsence that is there as a substitute for poor RT.

Well here is the latest. I had to renew my ships Radio Telephone License. Everything went fine till I printed out the Official Copy of the License to be carried on board. Went to remove the old RT and found the one I was sticking in the cockpit officially wanting. The old paperwork actually looks like something you would get from the Govt. What I had was something that looks as if it was made up by an amateur.

I can see it now getting ramp checked because Im N reg and them finding that Micky mouse paperwork that could have been produced by the Boys in Syria. Dont want to use their official name because key words activate govt snooping programs.

Try as I might I could not get them at the FCC to understand the mentality of some of the Officials who are in charge of making sure all is well with our paperwork on the plane.

Its bad enough I dont have a ships log. Thats because with N we dont need one. We are also not required to travel with Pilots log book or the Aircraft Maintenance Logs.

Anyone have a new updated FCC RT License on board?

KHTO, LHTL

Just forget about it. Nobody outside the US knows what the FCC is, much less know about the requirement to carry on board an FCC license.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message