Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FCC radio telephone operators permit / radio station license

On the other documents: you do need a “ships log” according to SERA now. More precisely, it’s called the “journey log”.

You should definitely get one. When you get ramped checked, they will probably ask for it. Just start one now.

Also, you do need to carry the pilot’s logbook.

You don’t need to carry aircraft technical logbooks.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Aug 21:37
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The pilot’s logbook is a new one to me… a very dangerous thing to do because if you lose it, you lose a lot. I would photograph every page in that case and upload it somewhere. Probably not to the obvious place (dropbox) because if you upload a big file there and give the URL to somebody and he posts it somewhere, and 10-100 people download it, your dropbox account gets pulled (been there, done that).

My N-reg docs list is here Any EASA stuff will be additional.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They asked for my plane’s FCC license too when I was ramp checked in Biarritz.

EGTF, LFTF

I do not carry my pilot’s logbook because it lives in Excel on my computer at home. There is no requirement to carry it under part-NCO, either. Nor is there under part-FCL. The opposite is true:

FCL.045 explicitly requires a pilot to carry the licence, but only requires the log to be produced without undue delay. If the regulator wanted it to be carried, they could have said so.

Also, there is no “ship’s log” required. What is required is a “journey log, or equivalent”. The AMC / guidance material clarifies that for example an operational flightplan is sufficient (AKA as the “PLOG” or somesuch). So strictly speaking it can only ever cover the flight you just landed from, or the flight you are going to undertake.

Specifically, here is the list of what is required, straight from NCO.GEN.135

(1) the AFM, or equivalent document(s);
(2) the original certificate of registration;
(3) the original certificate of airworthiness (CofA);
(4) the noise certificate, if applicable;
(5) the list of specific approvals, if applicable;
(6) the aircraft radio licence, if applicable;
(7) the third party liability insurance certificate(s);
(8) the journey log, or equivalent, for the aircraft;
(9) details of the filed ATS flight plan, if applicable;
(10) current and suitable aeronautical charts for the route of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted;
(11) procedures and visual signals information for use by intercepting and intercepted aircraft;
(12) the MEL or CDL, if applicable; and
(13) any other documentation that may be pertinent to the flight or is required by the States concerned with the flight.

Biggin Hill

You are obviously right about the pilot’s logbook and part-NCO. It is currently required to be carried under national german regulatiom though, and I guess it is also under other national regulations.

Also, I was not aware that the EASA regs demanded a PLOG for every flight, irrespective of VFR or IFR. Current german regs require it only for IFR. This may in the future catch out a lot of VFR pilots who go out just “for a bimble”.

But then again, many will also be caught out by the interception procedures thing, which in Germany for example, nobody really carries around.

I guess that in practice, future ramp checklists will not be completely in line with the EASA regulations.

What is required is a “journey log, or equivalent”. The AMC / guidance material clarifies that for example an operational flightplan is sufficient (AKA as the “PLOG” or somesuch). So strictly speaking it can only ever cover the flight you just landed from, or the flight you are going to undertake.

Thanks for posting that, Cobalt.

I have often wondered what the purpose of a journey log is. ICAO asks for it, but why? If you did some drug running flights, you aren’t going to log them anywhere anyway… so who is supposed to be wiser as a result of seeing a journey log?

Finding a suitable journey logbook was actually a bit of hassle – I wrote some notes here and eventually bought the one mentioned here (I bought it from the USA, with a considerable shipping charge, because the French shop mentioned never replied to any communications!).

But it sounds like it was all a waste of time if a plog meets the requirement. OTOH I wonder how many airport policemen are going to be briefed correctly?

Did they also ask for the pilot’s personal FCC license, @denopa? Most syndicates around N-regs are unaware that each syndicate member needs to have his own radio license. It is bought from the FCC, while the aircraft radio license is normally sorted out by the US Trustee.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Denopa,

could be, but then who flies to Biarritz?

Cobalt wrote:

Cobalt 15-Aug-15 11:00 #06
I do not carry my pilot’s logbook because it lives in Excel on my computer at home. There is no requirement to carry it under part-NCO, either. Nor is there under part-FCL. The opposite is true:

FCL.045 explicitly requires a pilot to carry the licence, but only requires the log to be produced without undue delay. If the regulator wanted it to be carried, they could have said so.

Also, there is no “ship’s log” required. What is required is a “journey log, or equivalent”. The AMC / guidance material clarifies that for example an operational flightplan is sufficient (AKA as the “PLOG” or somesuch). So strictly speaking it can only ever cover the flight you just landed from, or the flight you are going to undertake.

Specifically, here is the list of what is required, straight from NCO.GEN.135

(1) the AFM, or equivalent document(s);
(2) the original certificate of registration;
(3) the original certificate of airworthiness (CofA);
(4) the noise certificate, if applicable;
(5) the list of specific approvals, if applicable;
(6) the aircraft radio licence, if applicable;
(7) the third party liability insurance certificate(s);
(8) the journey log, or equivalent, for the aircraft;
(9) details of the filed ATS flight plan, if applicable;
(10) current and suitable aeronautical charts for the route of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted;
(11) procedures and visual signals information for use by intercepting and intercepted aircraft;
(12) the MEL or CDL, if applicable; and
(13) any other documentation that may be pertinent to the flight

Thanks for the information. But what is the difference between 8 and 9 when 8 is basically a print out of your current flight plan and 9 is details of the filed ATS flight plan?

Not sure about…. “#5 is list of approvals.” Do you mean STCs?

Wasnt the point of all those Bureaucratic meetings at ICAO to have a uniform seamless system that everyone follows. Hopefully one with sanity. Whatever happened to ARROW?
KHTO, LHTL

Peter wrote:

Peter 15-Aug-15 11:32 #08
What is required is a “journey log, or equivalent”. The AMC / guidance material clarifies that for example an operational flightplan is sufficient (AKA as the “PLOG” or somesuch). So strictly speaking it can only ever cover the flight you just landed from, or the flight you are going to undertake.
Thanks for posting that, Cobalt.

Did they also ask for the pilot’s personal FCC license, @denopa? Most syndicates around N-regs are unaware that each syndicate member needs to have his own radio license. It is bought from the FCC, while the aircraft radio license is normally sorted out by the US Trustee.

Peter your right if you do not have a RT license you are breaking the Law if you use that radio transmitter.

If the fine isnt in the $100 of thousands of $ it should be.

KHTO, LHTL

@Peter

They didn’t ask, but I have it :-)I think I leaned about it from your website.

Last Edited by denopa at 15 Aug 12:56
EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message