Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

At several airports with CAT traffic, i have been asked to produce it to get airside, amongst others,i recall: Innsbruck & Graz, Perpignan, Belgrade & Nis, Debrecen, Rimini, Trondheim, Leipzig & Dresden – in several cases accompanied by a photo ID to actually verify it’s not your mate’s licence ;-)
In some places you are in trouble even if you leave it in the plane… lots of talking to do. And yes, you guess right how i know ;-)

Several representatives of the airports told me that under EU regulation airside areas are security sensitive and it is their (airport) responsibility to only let pilots or otherwise vetted folks into.
(Just relaying…)

EDM_, Germany

…and yes they need to inspect it to see that you are a pilot for the kind of a/c
(Rather than
A – WERE one many moons ago or
B – for hot air balloons or sailgliders, only)

EDM_, Germany

It is one of the advantages of a plastic credit card size pilot cerificate even if not flying on its privileges it comes handy in a wallet if someone asks

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My EASA paper licence lives in my logbook, but I keep my FAA credit-card licence in my wallet for this eventuality. Also for impressing the checkout girl as proof of age when buying beer in the supermarket, but it’s been a while since I’ve been asked

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

proof of age when buying beer in the supermarket, but it’s been a while since I’ve been asked

Also sits in the same wallet slot as the Amex Platinum and own miles fidelity card

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 May 13:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

For th ones who where interested, here the text of the email I received. In the mean time I payed my exam fees in the hope they would just give me the level 4. Unfortunatly the ask me where I want to take the exam.
I have level 6 english which is transfered to my new french license. My imc rating they could not do as I did not do the renewal last september, so they can add it when Imdoman exam again.

Here text of email from dsac nord

LF2433 rochebeaucourt france, Netherlands

@bookworm might be very interested…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you have a PPL(A), you can have a Classe 1 (multiaxes) brevet et licence de pilote d’ULM for virtually no effort. No theory or RT exam, just fly with an instructor enough to convince him or her that you are competent. The ULM licence is valid for life and if you speak French fluently it will include authorisation for radiotéléphonie en langue francaise.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Marcpa wrote:

I must inform you that for each Non – French pilot holder of a French PPL(A) licence without a minimum level 4 of French Language competencies is mandatory to succed an DGAC exam.
If not, your flights in the French Aerian Space are limited to those where ATC is assured only in English.

BANG.

Is that statement finally saying in writing what many have been saying for years: NO flying at FR only airfields without a French RT and LP exam?

If it is valid for French licence holders, legally it would be VERY questionable if it was allowed for those with non-French licences.

(Looking at the letter, I wonder if the author has a ELP….)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

what many have been saying for years

… But none have seen enforced ever? (Assuming they knew how to speak minimal french)

Sign in to add your message