Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

terbang wrote:

Here is a little video Mrs. terbang put together about flying into French only airfields:

Nice video, good educational & motivational value, how many out of the 500 French airfields are still not ticked by the Terbangs ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Are there really 500, Ibra? If so, we are just a bit over ten percent now A lot of fun ahead of us!

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Wow, she does an amazing job, far better than many french pilots. I wish I could do the same on a foreign language ! Good idea to make a video about this.
Enjoy

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 11 Aug 11:02
LFOU, France

terbang wrote:

Are there really 500, Ibra? If so, we are just a bit over ten percent now A lot of fun ahead of us!

That’s impressive +50/500, I did not want to add BASULM ones with LF1234 to the list of LFXY airports, then you are looking at 1200 ! the caveat for the formers: they are ok for English RT or NORDO but half of them will not take an RG SEP, surely not N-RM

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Aug 11:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Gret video, terbang. I will link to it on my website.

What is worth noting though is that Aubenas is NOT a French-only airfield, so not quite the perfect example.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Gret video, terbang. I will link to it on my website.

What is worth noting though is that Aubenas is NOT a French-only airfield, so not quite the perfect example

True but the procedure shown is applicable to most FR only airfields with A/A calls and overhead join followed by downwind.

LFST, France

Maybe the French pilots can tell more but after doing some French radio it seems the local pilots do not insist very much on the numbers. It seems to be “piste dix-huit” and not “piste unité huit”. I remember even ATC uses normal numbers for IFR levels etc. Is that correct or just accepted?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Maybe the French pilots can tell more but after doing some French radio it seems the local pilots do not insist very much on the numbers. It seems to be “piste dix-huit” and not “piste unité huit”. I remember even ATC uses normal numbers for IFR levels etc. Is that correct or just accepted?

In France pilots are still officially allowed to use “normal” numbers on the radio, due to a local exception to the SERA.14035 rule. Usually, the digits are pronounced separately only when poor reception is reported (I would say 3/5 or below) or when a readback is wrong and the controller wants to stress the necessary correction.

Of course one is always allowed to use the separate digit style if so they prefer.

Last Edited by Seba at 11 Aug 14:11
LFST, France

bosco, Ibra, Seba, you’re right, of course! It’s not a French only airfield, the video doesn’t say so either. Just I did But anyway, radio communication in French

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Excellent video. Also shows great “CRM”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message