Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

airfields with international traffic have English speaking AFIS but again I don’t think it’s a legal requirement?

It must be.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AFIS at airports capable of international traffic

Yes big IFR airfields with international traffic have English speaking AFIS but again I don’t think it’s a legal requirement? the ones I listed are IFR airfields without English AFIS

Small VFR airfields are required to have AFIS if they have busy mixed operations: training, parachutists, gliding, banner towing…these don’t necessarily have English AFIS

Reims is not correct.

You are right, I was thinking LaBaule

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Nov 10:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

They will have ELP with EN added to FR in AFIS licence, there are many AFIS airfields that are FR-only today (e.g. Reims, Ouessant…)

Reims is not correct.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They will have ELP with EN added to FR in AFIS licence, there are many AFIS airfields that are FR-only today (e.g. Reims, Ouessant…)

What does that mean in reality?

ATC/AFIS at airports capable of international traffic (which could potentially be only during notified hours) need ELP4, legally and in reality so pilots can talk to them. How this is achieved, probably doesn’t matter if talking about just legalities.

So for us non-UK pilots, what exactly does “coasting in” mean? Power off approach :-) ?

It means crossing the coast. No, I would have never worked it out either But then, as I said, I almost never talk to “pretend we can’t see you on radar because we are the cheaper FISOs and not being radar qualified, union rules prevent us seeing a radar screen, which we actually do have, but we can’t tell you that” London INFO

Administrator

What does that mean? FR-only and EN-only ???

The UK dropped the PPL requirement from ATC decades ago

In France as well: ATC don’t need the PPL neither, maybe since ENAC creation in 1949
They have Engineering Degree which require far more excellence than PPL

• The engineering degree require English TOEIC
  • The ATC degree require ELP

I was talking about ELP in AFIS (FISO) qualification not ELP ATCO (ATC) qualification
Historically, AFIS needed PPL to get their ELP sign-off

PS: AFIS regulations are sub-ICAO & sub-EASA

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Nov 09:56

So for us non-UK pilots, what exactly does “coasting in” mean? Power off approach :-) ?

LFMD, France

so I would expect more of them to be FR & EN soon

What does that mean? FR-only and EN-only ???

The UK dropped the PPL requirement from ATC decades ago. Not sure it made any difference.

Also a PPL requirement is worth nothing (for ATC ELP) if you only ever fly locally.

Administrator

DGAC dropped this week the requirement for AFIS to hold pilot licences (ATPL, CPL, PPL) before taking the English Language Proficiency (FCL055), so I would expect more of them to be FR & EN soon

I hope @gallois keeps contributing here !

On personal note, it’s worth making an effort on local language on radio when flying, I found it to be helpful: I have no issues flying safely to small airfields in France, Switzerland and Germany, the wife has no issues doing that for Spain…without it one end up suffering from flying disability: there are plenty of places that are worth GA visit that do not have “English ATC”

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Nov 09:32

G-XXXX, coasting in at YYY

That makes me cringe, and just illustrates the poor training at PPL level.

Completely non-standard. When I first heard it I had no idea what it meant (I rarely call up London Info, who are the principal user of it) and most ATC across mainland Europe would have no idea either.

Administrator

aart wrote:

You cannot expect a novice controller to immediately understand ‘G-XXXX, coasting in at YYY’ which I heard the other day.
Is this “coasting in” not also a specialty of UK ATC?

Besides the accent aspect, each country does of course also have their own habits on radio calls. That makes a difference as well. It’s always funny how people from UK also ask in mainland Europe for a “basic service” and if the controller says “cleared to leave”, they answer with “contacting now Langen Information on 129,875” instead of a simple “cleared to leave, bye” confirmation, which confuses a European controller sometimes as well.
Last Edited by Frans at 05 Nov 08:25
Switzerland
498 Posts
Sign in to add your message