Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Free online VFR charts for Europe

That Czech map is very bare – a bit like the old Skyview tool which Eurocontrol have recently terminated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Evidently Transair managed to get it produced by somebody else for 2015. That’s a good chart, though much criticised by UK pilots who fly between farm strips, or who navigate with map+compass.

Editerra will continue to publish the charts as before, but Jean Bossy from now on will publish his own charts, it will be only France (and Belgium & Luxembourg) this year.
In France there are many class E airspace, Bossy was the first one to have the idea not to show them so that it’s easier to read for a VFR pilot. He had many other good ideas for his charts. Many people in France will say that it’s a sin to have or read such a chart, others will be more prone to reform.

So this year you’ll have three different 1/1000000 charts for France. Bossy, Editerra and SIA.

Editerra will add Class E airspace this year, Bossy won’t, it’s a sort of Lilliput vs Blefuscu war.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 16 Mar 12:30

So this year you’ll have three different 1/1000000 charts for France. Bossy, Editerra and SIA.

What about the IGN ones?

Administrator

IGN are 1/500000 charts, you need four of them to cover France. That’s the only charts that have the imprimatur and nihil obstat of traditional instructors in France (they don’t cover my part of Belgium, so I don’t buy the NE one)
Edit: to be thorough, SIA also publishes 1/250000 charts for busy areas such as Paris, the Riviera etc. SIA charts (both 1/1000000 and 1/250000) are published twice a year. I don’t think it’s possible to buy the second issue separately from the first, and the only way I know to get the 2 issues is to order on the SIA website the 2 issues package.
If you purchase from them, I recommend to purchase a package that includes the guide VFR, which contains in French and English useful pieces of French legislation

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 16 Mar 12:48

My original post was an enquiry regarding online charts, which can be potentially downloaded in tiles and run locally under a suitable georeferenced app like Oziexplorer.

Years ago, Memory Map were going to cover France using the IGN charts. I am not sure if they ever did, and anyway MM have moved to the encrypted QC3 format which cannot be used for that purpose unless one has a large monitor and downloads screenshots and joins them up.

I smiled about your comment about instructors I think they are the same everywhere when it comes to this stuff.

Administrator

Neither IGN, Cartabossy or Editerra update their charts during the year, even if you get a digital version. At least for the VFR charts.
For France, the 1/2000000 IFR is available for download on the AIP, and hence is officially up to date.
The printed version is only issued twice a year by the SIA.
It’s available on carte.aero / http://carte.f-aero.fr/ but they seem to update it only twice a year just as the printed version is, I don’t know why, I’ll ask.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 16 Mar 13:03

The 1/2000000 airways chart is not available anymore on carte.aero, but the brand new Cartabossy 2015 is, together with its WE version. And for free!
To thank Jean Bossy, who certainly deserves it: http://www.cartabossy.com/

And it looks like the upper/lower airways chart was removed… It was out-of-date anyway as far as I could tell.

LFPT, LFPN

Peter you are right, the 1/2000000 airways chart was not kept up to date. You can download an up to date version from the AIP.
The French AIP has changed its format to eAIP. The consequence is that you know have to download the IFR approach, SID and STAR charts page by page. I hope someone will write scripts making it easier to download.

The French AIP has changed its format to eAIP.

Damn. What a pain. I really think I’ll have to spend 320 €/y on VACs and another 535 €/y on IFR plates. But then I would get all of Europe which would lift my little constraint.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message