Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you get lost at airports?

While the Skydemon option is nice I find it annoying that it needs additional DFS and Pooleys subscriptions

No, it will georeference the (free) AIP airfield plates as well…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 16 Mar 21:26
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

You are correct Anthony,

What I meant was that you need additional subscriptions if you want the coverage of Jeppesen. Germany for example requires a subscription for the VFR AIP

EDLN and EDKB

This whole thread is a relief to me, at least I know I’m not the only one who has to ask for a progressive taxi!

Andreas IOM

I have been lost the first time visiting some larger multi-runway / multi-terminal airports, but have learnt to request for progressive taxi instructions if unsure.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6476251/Pilots-blame-bad-signage-jumbo-jet-overshot-Gatwicks-runway-off.html

Pilots blame ‘bad signage’ after jumbo jet with 270 passengers on board almost overshot Gatwick’s runway during take-off Boeing 787-9’s pilots say they didn’t realise they were 417 metres into runway. Aircraft is 12 tonnes too heavy to take off at the spot from which it began to fly Dreamliner flight is the fifth since September 2017 to take off at wrong point.

They didn’t quite “get lost”; they just misread the signs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They did not blame it on 50/70 rule tough as it works always in “relative terms”
(but it has to work as 25/70 in “absolute terms” if you enter the runway mid-point )

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Dec 22:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

‘Progressive’ is a magic word, and so is ‘Unfamiliar’. In America. I’ve had mixed results with both in Europe.

On a different note, many taxi diagrams such as the FAA ones in AF/D fail to show FBO locations. That can be a real problem unless you’ve rehearsed it at an untowered, and sometimes at a towered, field. Which side to turn off the Runway? Worst of all is when you’ve memorised the FBO, and then forgotten it. A controller at Monterey got really shirty when I asked him “what FBO’s they have” saying they are not allowed to give that info for fear of showing preferences, but read them out anyway. Foreflight fixes most of that nowadays.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

This is an interesting example AAIB report. I really feel sorry for the Station Engineer and Airport Duty Manager sat in the back as passengers who realised they were taking off from half way along the runway but couldn’t do anything about it.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

According to the Daily Mail article, the same thing happened at Gatwick four times in a half-year period. To me that sounds like a problem with the airfield procedures/layout/signage rather than simply a case of pilot “misreading” the signs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Capitaine wrote:

anything about it.

That got me thinking how he could have done it. Unlocking the door?

Sign in to add your message