Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB IR and EIR published today

here

I haven’t read it yet (have work to do) and maybe somebody can decipher what it actually says.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks very interesting and appears to be in line with what everyone expected. I would imagine that the EIR will be very appealing for IMC/IR holders as it will in effect grant access to all classes of UK airspace (excluding Class A TMAs) without the hassle of completing the full IR.

The CBM IR is definitely a step forwards in reducing the cost and increasing the flexibility of attaining the full IR too.

I’ll be very interested to see what the EIR skills test comprises of. Presumably it will be a case of performing a VFR departure, transitioning to IFR, flying straight and level along an airway, doing the unusual attitudes recoveries and coming home. One would hope that the cost might also be dramatically lower than the ridiculous fee charged at the moment.

Hopefully the TK question bank has been trimmed accordingly and made more relevant, although it looks like the TK requirements for the CMB and EIR are the same.

Will be good to see what develops now in terms of ATO’s running courses and tests.

EGBP, United Kingdom

the cost might also be dramatically lower than the ridiculous fee charged at the moment.

The fee is largely based on the cost of becoming an IRE. In most cases, a non Company IRE never gets his money back so its hardly likely to be possible to offer cheaper tests.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 14 Mar 13:41

That’s interesting… what order of magnitude is that? £785 for the test, with the aircraft and approach fees on top seems to be quite a sum – at least to me.

EGBP, United Kingdom

And of that amount how much does the examiner receive?

I know in Spain its 200 euros direct to the exsminer

I know an IRE/CRR who pays the UK CAA something like 5k/year.

And he cannot do initial IR tests; that would cost him a few k more and he would never recover it, especially now that the CAA has appointed more “industry examiners” than there are students coming out of the FTO system I saw a list of them recently – it is massive.

That is what is killing the system – the CAA is skimming a lot of money off the top

Does anybody know what the CB IR exams look like?

Administrator

In my own selfish world all I care about is that I can now convert the FAA IR to an EASA IR by doing a test and a demonstration of theoretical knowledge to the examiner. (page 47 of the pdf linked)

Now I am not daft enough to imagine that I will just go and do the test, I will need some training to pass the test.
However, I LIKE flying, so that is no hardship, it will be rather enjoyable in a perverse way, albeit somewhat draining on the pocket.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Don’t you need to do the EASA CPL also, Neil?

That’s 9 exams, I think, but if you want to keep the route open to an EASA ATPL you cannot do the 9 CPL exams and the 2 or 3 (?) CB IR exams. That will get you an EASACPL/IR” allright but it cannot ever become an ATPL. If you want to keep the ATPL route open, you have to forget the entire CB IR written exam concession and do the 14 EASA ATPL exams.

In EASA-land one can fly a jet LHS/RHS on a CPL/IR if flying as a paid pilot for the owner, but with paying passengers the LHS has to be an ATPLAIUI.

But I am sure you know all this anyway…

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Mar 17:06
Administrator

No I don’t need a CPL, I can fly on my PPL. I will need Type Ratings; the 525 type rating can be added next time I do Simulator training.

Last Edited by Neil at 14 Mar 17:12
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

what order of magnitude is that? £785 for the test,

Most IRE’s I know charge £150 Your figure sounds like an initial fee to the CAA
123 Posts
Sign in to add your message