Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB IR and EIR published today

Bookworm. Right now someone can get a CPL/ME/IR with fewer examinations than the ATPL (12 vs 14?). Anyone who has followed this route who subsequently wishes an ATPL has to undergo another period of TK pain. CBIR pilots would have to do something similar. As I said, it shouldn’t be a reason for delay.

The other bit that concerns me about the IN is the comment at the end about further information concerning means of compliance being available in due course. What are they getting at here?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Thanks both. I just don’t see why that is any different for the CB modular IR than the other modular IR. You only get a credit for “IFR communications” for the IR. Therefore there doesn’t seem to be any reason for flagging an IR obtained by the CB modular route differently.

I agree. The bit I find so disappointing is that CBIR/EIR, driven by the likes of PPL IR, has been a fantastic win for European GA and the CAA have made a hash of implementation.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

There must have always (for past 15 years) been a “system” in JAA-land to stop somebody who

• did a PPL (7 exams)
  • a “PPL” IR (7 exams)
  • a CPL (used to be 9 exams, now 11)

from progressing to a jet RHS job – no matter how many years ago his/her CPL/IR (and it is a real CPL/IR) was obtained.

ATPL training forum rumour (prob99 anonymous postings from N European FTO owners) claims that any jet employer wants to see your exam passes, and they will judge them in all kinds of dark ways, especially if obtained in Africa (well, Spain or Greece, but you know what I mean), so maybe such an attempt would be detected at that point?

In reality, virtually nobody is going to do the above dead-end / masochistic route – unless they want to be a FI and have no jet RHS ambitions in which case it makes sense if done over a long time for personal reasons.

So I don’t see why the CB IR should be marked as “second grade” in any way.

Anyway, an enterprising person is going to take their CPL/IR and convert it to another JAR-country CPL/IR, and then convert that one back to a UK based CPL/IR, and if you give it enough time, nobody is going to ask to see your exams, are they?

When you turn up for the HPA ground course, do they want to see your exam passes, even if you did your stuff in say 1980?

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Jul 14:40
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter it is the CAA that trap it – their computer wouldn’t allow a multi crew type rating issue if you didn’t have ATPL TK on the computer system.

Now retired from forums best wishes

OK, but what about some old geezer who has been kicking about for years and perhaps did all his stuff in some foreign land. Most people are not going to keep their ATPL exam passes for many years, especially if they have converted to a JAA ATPL via some of the old routes (like the Irish ICAO ATPL to JAA ATPL conversion, which ran for about 3 years).

Administrator

The UK CAA has published their test standards for the CB IR and the EIR here (local copy).

I haven’t read it yet but it looks quite interesting!

Administrator

Forum,

here is my long promised account on how I became the first European pilot to “convert” my ICAO Instrument Rating to an EASA IR via the CB-IR route:

Link

All questions, feedback, reactions are welcome.

Niner Mike.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

9er Mike

Congratulations and a nice clear write up, thank you. Good to see it announced on EuroGA.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Well done 9M! I got my FAA IR only this year….I already have the 50hrs PIC under IFR (without having to count any hours from flying IFR with my UK IMC rating)….so no excuses any more!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message