Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing (merged threads)

That article came from @antonio.

TKS works really well, including preventing runback buildup. The liquid runs back on the top and the bottom of the wing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The liquid runs back on the top and the bottom of the wing.

That only works at high AOA because the TKS panel extends sufficiently far back as to ensure the stagnation point stays well within the porous tks flow area of the panel in such situation. Hence the TB20 tailplane TKS panel asymmetry. Not installing it per the certified drawings may mean insufficient tks flow on the high-pressure side of the airfoil at high aoa. The article explains the idea quite well.

Unfortunately not all tks installers read the detailed instructions…and then keeping ias high is the safest bet.

Those of us with a high wing have a better view of the danger area on the underside of the LE: better, but still not as good as a properly installed tks panel

Last Edited by Antonio at 05 Nov 22:09
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Unfortunately not all tks installers read the detailed instructions…and then keeping ias high is the safest bet.

Do these installs have a minimum icing penetration speed (which is of course a proxy for maximum icing penetration AOA)? Most higher performance aircraft do for exactly the reason that they make sure ice is unlikely to accumulate on unprotected areas.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Nov 22:33
EGTK Oxford

Nothing in my POH.

Administrator

From memory (a past discussion here) the TB20 POH has nothing on icing at all (including vital things like going to alternate air in the presence of moisture and staying there until back down to warmer air). It may be that in a non FIKI aircraft the lawyers do not want anything included that could give the impression that flying into icing is ok?

EGTF, LFTF

It does say flight into “known icing” prohibited in a few places but there is this

The key thing is to use alternate air, to protect the fuel servo inlet duct.

Administrator

I picked up a load of ice yesterday over Germany, 1cm in minutes. TKS handled it but only at max flow.

I don’t have the DWD icing chart for yesterday say 1400 but today’s 0400 one shows it pretty well (allow for the westerly airflow having moved it east)

Looking at the MSLP you would not think this…

and the IR image was pretty well clean too, and radar totally clean

Gramet was all blue and worthless, as usual

I could have climbed to VMC, maybe FL150, but the headwind would have been strong. It was ~35kt already at FL100. So I went up and down between layers and eventually going down to FL060 to reach +1C (ignore the yellow speed line)

Administrator

When your camera ices over

Administrator

This looks like freezing rain…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This looks like freezing rain…

Looks like fake with the other boats behind and water bellow

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom