Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which hand-held radio?

I have a Vertex VXA-300. I'm generally happy with it, though there have been some bumps in our relationship.

Some of the knob functions get buggered if you bump the knob in the push direction, while turning it. If you wait, it returns, but if you're in a hurry, you better have memorized some function steps to get it back with minimum delay. It actually has too many functions for my liking.

It requires an adapter cord to work with a headset. To do it again, I would buy a portable that took the headset directly. Then, you must use a PTT in the Mic circuit. It seemed to work directly, and I could transmit with the protable's own PTT, but it was unpredictable, and unreliable with feedback.

Then to my great dismay, I (having had adequate performance over a few years) used it as a primary comm in my flying boat, as it has yet to have a fixed comm installed. I got to my destination, and it would only feedback, so I could not transmit dependably. I turned around, came home, and got my other plane. It turned out that the Vertex would work with the mics on David Clark headsets which were original, but would not with two of the headsets upon which I have installed aftermarket mics (I prefer second hand, worn out headsets in the flying boat, in case they get wet). I find this compatibility with certain mics to be frustrating. I have worked it out, but think I should not have had to.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

My Icom AC-A20 was bought in 1990 or1991. I had to open and re-solder the aerial two years ago. The batteries are still O.K. It's been back-up only, so has a rough life in the bag, but has been used in the air - giving a good 20NM transmit at least on its own aerial. The VOR has poor reception for hearing ATIS on our local VOR - I'm talking to ATC long before I could hear it. The headset adaptor has a PTT on it, and it can be run off a cig lighter socket. I occasionally run the batteries down, and recharge.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Vertex 220.

Great piece of kit.

Also accessories eg car charger, replacement and higher capacity batteries are very cheap as chips

I too have a Vertex VXA-300.

I haven't had to use it to transmit in flight though.

One thing that I like about it, is that it's waterproof to three meters. It stays in my ditching bag when heading across water.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

If you can still find one the Icom AC21 has VOR and with a 12 volt source it can be powered off the a/c electrics. I bought mine in the USA off eBay. Strictly speaking this model is not approved in the UK, but the A20 range IMHO remains the best 'handheld'.

Ignore this line - hope it separates the two quotes by different authors :-)

My Icom AC-A20 was bought in 1990 or 1991. I had to open and re-solder the aerial two years ago. The batteries are still O.K. It's been back-up only, so has a rough life in the bag, but has been used in the air - giving a good 20NM transmit at least on its own aerial.

For what its worth, in my "around the patch" aircraft I use an old Icom AC21 as the primary (meaning only!) comm radio in a quite busy ATC environment, in conjunction with a Pilot PA-200 battery powered intercom and headsets. Its range and performance are really fine with an external antenna (as good for my purposes as any other comm), and they're pretty tough little radios. The intercom works OK too, especially for a $110 item. Mostly, I power the AC21 with a AA dry cell battery pack. AAs store a long time without self discharge, plus the rechargeable batteries seemed to suffer from short life.

My original AC21 also had an internal failure of the antenna connection some years ago, and my solution was to buy another used AC21 for $100 US (also from Ebay). The $100 radio has since been the only radio for the aircraft making my investment in radio + intercom $220... the two head sets were $1800 though :-)

I have an Icom IC-A6, have both a rechargeable battery pack and also a separate pack where I can drop in 6 regular AA batteries "just in case" - I always have a stash of AAs with me just in case the ones in my ANR Headset die...... It"s not that I don't mind the noise, should the batteries die, rather that on longer flights I miss having music streamed to my headset via bluetooth...

EDL*, Germany

I've used an Icom A20E as my main (only) radio since 1993 or 1994. It has had plenty of use and I replaced the batteries 2 years ago. It has always been a reliable piece of kit, although a bit large by modern standards. I have never needed he VOR function and have have only played with it occasionally out of curiosity, yup it seems to work, before going back to map and compass. Reception is good and I've had no complaints about my transmissions so I must assume that they are OK as well. I use it plugged into the aircraft system, but have used it in another aircraft with just the rubber duck antenna. This seemed to work well enough although I didn't make any calls further than 7NM from the destination airfield, with the speeds at which I travel this is more than adequate

I have a Sporty's 400 with ILS. It works well, but some parts are flimsy. The mechanical connection between the battery case and the unit itself is not strong enough and it breaks at the unit, not at the battery case.

United Kingdom

I had the old KX-99 for a couple of decades. It always worked ok, but it is heavy. I never cared much about the nav part, especially since there is no localiser receiver.

Last year I fell for the SPA-400, the one with the ILS. The ILS seems reliable and accurate but with a somewhat limited range. I have flown it under the hood to minimums, and guess I would do it in a real emergency also. I do not use an external antenna. The COM part is ok but I never managed to get it to work with a headset. I have tried different headsets and also different adapters but the sound in the headset is too weak, and distorts if the volume is turned all the way up.

Six months ago I was offered the small scanner Maycom AR-108 at a bargain price. Since it weighs nothing and fits in a shirt pocket it is now the one handheld I carry on every flight. It is perfect for picking up the ATIS before startup or anytime in a single-COM aircraft (I just hold it close to the mike for the duration of the ATIS) and for emergency reception.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I bought an Icom A6 and it's been a valuable piece of kit, but it has one big downside. You cannot listen to the ATIS on a VOR because the audio channels only work in the 118–136.975 MHz range. (can you unlock this feature somehow?)

The positive side is that it has proven me well whilst dealing with an alternator failure. The headset adapter was pretty useful in that situation as well. The range is not that impressive, but good enough in a TMA or CTR.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar
Sign in to add your message