Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Birdstrikes . . .

What are peoples views on how significant a risk birdstrikes pose to SEP GA? + any pictures we can all learn from?

EuropaBoy
EGBW

I have had a couple of very small ones, no damage, and a few close calls.

I fellow I met (when I saw his damaged plane) had hit a goose with his C 150 wing. It pushed the leading edge right back into the spar, and pushed the spar back a bit. He landed safely, but said it took everything he had to control the plane.

A 172 I saw a few years back took a goose in the right windshield. It went through, bouncing off the instructor's head, and causing some injury, and broke the back window too, buy remained in the cabin.

On the other hand, I was flying a friend's EC 120, landing on a beach in British Columbia. An eagle swooped in to defend it's territory. My friend told me we were leaving, because the eagle would defend to the death against his helicopter. I left.

Avoid birds....

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Had a few near impacts with soaring birds, but only one actual strike, but that was really a non-event. Taking off with a lot of gulls on the field (as usual) they all cleared off right and left except one, who took up a heading of 270 (I was on 27). It came through the prop and got sliced. I did a circuit and landed but no damage (to the Chipmunk). Terminal to the junior Black Headed Gull involved.

Barton is my spiritual home.

I spoke to a US engine shop about this, a while ago.

A bird getting chopped up by the prop is a "prop strike", believe it or not.

If the prop is damaged in any way then it's definitely a prop strike.

If the prop shows no damage at all (not even on the paint) and the blood washes off then it's a grey area... the engine shop would not want to be quoted on their reply.

I hit some small (8" long?) black birds once with the wing and it dented the leading edge. This was at ~70kt only. The leading edge is very strong...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A T-tail twin had a fatal crash a few years ago, in northern US, when it hit geese at night. Probably the greatest danger is at night, with landing lights off. Or in IMC - I've heard geese flying over in the cloud. At our speeds, in VMC, only inexperienced juveniles are likely to be hit. Bonxies (great skuas) will actively attack, not just to defend their nest. From the passenger seat of our mainly white Jodel, flying about 70kts low off the coast, I've seen them lose control in the propwash after an interception.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I was surprised a few weeks ago to come across a lone Hawk at 5500 ft. It was a very rough day, so I'm assuming he found lift. I saw him coming head on but too late to take much action. From my vantage point in the aircraft he seemed to do everything he could to turn into a stone. He went under the left wing, tumbling. I felt sorry to upset him, but I'm sure glad he didn't upset me!

I'm told most bird species except gulls will go downward when they see an aircraft (?) Not my area of expertise.

Justine and I saw some huge vultures at ~10,000ft over S. Spain in 2005.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So far never hit one of our feathered friends, but had a few scares.

The first (and biggest!) was flying back to Burbank from General Fox in the Mojave desert. This route takes you close to a condor sanctuary - and sure enough, one of these guys who looked about the same size as my PA28 came a bit too close for comfort. Hate to think what happens if PA28 and Californian condor meet.....

Having flown a lot in southern Spain I've frequently been pretty close to seagulls of any size (they get big!) and seen the occasional eagle / vulture.

Flying over SE England at 3000' above a solid undercast, radar (primary only) gave me "faint target right to left". A few seconds later a V formation of approx 12 geese passed just in front, same level. Neither party attempted evasion action. All a bit of a non-event, but how did the geese intend to re-establish VMC below cloud? The undercast was very widespread with low ceilings below. How do birds descend through cloud? Or do they just keep flying until they find a hole in the undercast?

Only near misses.

EDAZ
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message