Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Use of full control travel

10 Posts

Some of what I read leads me to think that some pilots are reluctant to apply full control travel in flight, or during landing or takeoff. Perhaps some pilots are a bit uneasy about what that final jab of control input might make the plane do. From my experience with both testing, and simply trying to get the plane where I want it to be, I have occasionally found full control application to be useful. The odd time, I’ve hit a travel stop, and wished for some more.

I regularly apply full nose up, and hold it, during the initial takeoff, both land and water.

I regularly apply full rudder during forward slips on approach.

I have reached full aileron during approach to landing in a Piper Arrow, and the prototype Zenair 701 STOL. In both cases, the plane was still going the other way, so I had to discontinue the approach.

I have reached and held full aileron landing an Ercoupe in a crosswind (no rudder). I’m not quite sure how it works, but it did!

I have reached and held full rudder during spin recovery in many types, including Cessna 185 amphibian, 206, 207, and 208, Lake Amphibian, and Siai Marchetti 1019.

I have reached full rudder during skid and Vmca testing on twins including Navajo, King Airs, Twin Otter and DC-3. Interestingly, the King Air B200 will reach yaw angles approaching 40 degrees with full rudder. A bit un nerving, but it flies fine that way, and comes back easily.

I reached and held full rudder during crosswind testing of the Grand Caravan in 19 G 25 direct crosswind.

I have reached full nose down during maneuvering, and stall/spin recovery in C 206, 208 and SM1019. I actually reached the full nose down in the SM1019 in stable, level flight, which was very un nerving. Not certifiable – not certified.

In the DC-3, I was trained that the control wheel actually moves nearly all the way around, so don’t give up when the wheel is upside down, there is still lots more aileron available.

It is worthwhile during airwork to get a feel of what the plane will do. As you fly, with lots of control applied, and you know that more is available, its reassuring to know what the plane can actually do if you need it to.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

The Seneca 1 requires full aileron for the mildest zephyr that is not aligned with the runway.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

But surely one should never apply full rudder when flying faster than “manoeuvering speed” ?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I constantly use full aileron on take off in a crosswind, slowly reducing the amout of aileron given, when it becomes more effective.

Full deflection of Aileron and Elevator is used during taxiing, too.

In the Morane or Elster, I use full rudder on initial takeoff roll. Both planed don’t connect the rudder to the nosewheel. In the Jodel, full rudder will trigger differential braking (a bit like in the Chipmunk), so I am careful with full rudder on the ground.

With the take off… No, no full elevator, unless it’s a soft field take off.

No aerobatics, yet, but I guess I’ll use full deflection of moving surfaces, then too.

Oh, and I regularly use full Flaps…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Flying a tailwheel aircraft nearly every flight needs some control at full deflection on takeoff or landing! (e.g. into wind aileron, stick all the way back during a 3 point landing etc.)

Andreas IOM

I regularly apply full nose up, and hold it, during the initial takeoff, both land and water.

I was instructed to hold the control column all the way back, and reduce a bit of back pressure on the roll, but I have seen some people hold it all the way back until in the air. I find with the PA28-181, on grass, and 2 stages of flap, and with more than one person, doing so endures an attempt to lift and get airborne, followed by stall warner, a sink, and then another lift. Its not enjoyable for me other passengers, so I relax the pressure a bit.

I have reached full aileron during approach to landing in a Piper Arrow, and the prototype Zenair 701 STOL. In both cases, the plane was still going the other way, so I had to discontinue the approach.

What crosswind were you experiencing for that? 25 – 30kts if full aileron was needed?

What crosswind were you experiencing for that? 25 – 30kts if full aileron was needed?

That’s probably about right. I’ve been there too ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

If I hold-off too long, with even a 9 knot 90 degree icrosswind, trying for a 2 pointer (into wind and tailwheel) touch-down, in the Jodel DR1050, I run out of aileron as they become less effective at low airspeed. Much higher crosswind is no problem if a one wheel touchdown is done.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I use full control travel at multiple times during a flight from take-off to landing.

Just not when at any speed close to maneuver-speed. Which is why we have maneuver speed!

By deflecting a control you are changing the local wing geometry at the spanwidth of the control surface, causing the wing (or tail) to generate less or more lift force at that particular point. The result is pitch/yaw/roll. That then results in another change, which is change of Angle-off-Attack.

You don’t want to overdo the one or the other, so know your airspeed. However you can feel pretty easily the difference in manual force required, which gives great tactile feedback on most aircraft how much you are “stressing” the airframe.

As a matter of fact you’ll notice at low speed there’s hardly any force required, so it is easy to make large control inputs. And that is exactly what you want, since the lift formula requires us to use greater variables when the airspeed is low, to generate the same amount of lift force. (Read: turbulent crosswind landing)

Its good to use full aileron travel when breaking up the monotony of cross country cruise with the occasional roll

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message