Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying UK to Germany - what do I need to worry about

Sorry I missed this, as you're probably already in Cologne -- as am I at the moment, though by commercial. I've done the trip 3 times this year. I trust you'll find it as easy.

BACC is excellent. I use the train to get into the city: a 5 min walk from BACC. The runway set-up is also excellent -- 14R/32L is effectively the GA runway, and will usually be allocated (if not, request it) for t/o and ldg. If you can't do GPS 14R, you can do ILS 14L then swing for 14R.

Well that was exciting. Got visual at EGTK 1 second before a go around and diversion to Manchester.

EGTK Oxford

Why do you go around after you get visual? I learned it the other way around

Why do you go around after you get visual? I learned it the other way around

What I meant was I was reaching for the throttle to go around when the runway lights came into view. Was my second try so that was it.

Absolute chaos in the flight levels as 1 hour+ holds were being used to get into Heathrow. Diversions all over the place.

EGTK Oxford

So for my concerns about Germany, that was the easy bit although landing while snow is falling is new for me. BACC at Cologne were very good and it has a lovely terminal.

A few things were new to me eg on departure not realising that they want you to change frequencies yourself on the SID but no harm done.

Then of course the only real problem was the fog covering southern England.

EGTK Oxford

A few things were new to me eg on departure not realising that they want you to change frequencies yourself on the SID but no harm done.

EDDK is unusual in that you stay with the Tower through 2000 ft (I think). Most German SIDs have a transfer to radar immediately after departure, hence the take off clearance usually ends with the words "good day".

EDDK is unusual in that you stay with the Tower through 2000 ft (I think). Most German SIDs ...

Düsseldorf, Berlin and some others as well. But I always have to look at the smallprint in the top section of the Jeppesen chart because I can't remember.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hi,

I am flying into Prague Thursday then onto Nuremburg EDDN on Saturday for Erlangen Festival. Is it just turn up and go? Or will I need to make contact prior to the flight(s)?

I am planning on flying via Baden Baden back to the UK for lunch in Karlsruhe Airport on Monday, presume similar to EDDN and relatively decent customs/police and no need to contact anyone, just file a FPL?

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 07 Jun 09:08
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

A lot has changed since 2012 when this thread started.

I suggest a read of this. In short, from the UK you must use one of a list of Customs airports.

This changed recently although not many people are willing to risk it.

OTOH, UK pilots cannot any longer get busted for their plane not being in free circulation for EU VAT – here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At German airports like EDDN, no prior contact is required or customary.

No “lunch” available at EDSB. At least not where the GAT is. Possibly at the airline terminal, but that will be airport food only. Plus, it is good mile away from the GAT.
The combination of “IFR/customs airport” and “proper lunch available” is rare in Germany, unfortunately. Mannheim could potentially qualify, but it has ridiculous restrictions for IFR ops.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message