Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ICAO to EASA PPL

Not being critical

Why not? There’s plenty to be critical about. Just look at this little gem.

Last Edited by 172driver at 02 Sep 15:31

Once upon a time they didn’t tell you the QNH if it was in the ATIS. Then they started doing so. I guess there had been “incidents”. It’s not a UK thing, BTW. Exactly the same in Sweden.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What is the point of a rigorous practical R/T test? Surely the practical flight test is the place to assess R/T work?

And then if you listen to London Information on a nice day we don’t even do it very well after all of that.

There is your answer.

In the UK in the 1980s we ran two systems, the RT Test and Practical Assessment during PPL training. Two quite different standards emerged, the practical assessment failed to deliver a satisfactory standard, so the practical test became mandatory again. It is actually quite simple if you know the correct calls, many of which you seldom get the chance to make during a training flight or skill test.

The fundamental problem is a lack of training; and little standardisation between different ATC Units

It is actually quite simple if you know the correct calls, many of which you seldom get the chance to make during a training flight or skill test.

I agree but how many people actually remember anything from the R/T exam after having gone through a subsequent full training process and exam?

EGTK Oxford

I didn’t have to do the RT exam, got transferred from my ICAO license onto my EASA license. Lucky me!

If you listen to the average Joe PPL’s radio use, you’d better start crying.

Very much overrated, this radio exam, for someone who already has a radio exam on his/her ICAO license.

Just bureaucrats covering their backsides.

Last Edited by Archie at 22 Sep 11:38
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message