Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My next aircraft - 150 Knot 4 seater with good range???

I’m 6’ and find the TB20 very comfortable to fly. However the back seat is another matter in the pre-GT….!

Commander has a better Cabin, that is for sure….but I am biased! ;)

EGHS

Yes, having seen Commander’s Commander at Calvi I have Commander envy!….The airplane that is!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Try the Commander..

Then you will know what a large cockpit is. At 6f6 (196cm) and 125kg I am a fairly tall and broadshoulderd guy

I had ruled out the Commander as according to the POH a 114 doesn’t have the fuel range I am after. Just curious: did Commander’s Commander make it to Calvi non-stop from the UK?

Last Edited by JJBeall at 01 Oct 15:11
Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

FWIW, a TB20 could make it Shoreham to Calvi and back to Shoreham without landing (just just just about, still air, range 1300nm or so).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unless I am planning to fly the Atlantic, any leg more than say 4 hours is cruel and unnecessary torture! Although I know 7hour legs are your specialty Peter! However I can see that having such a long fuel endurance gives you a lot of flexibility about where and when you take fuel…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I never fly 7hrs deliberately. The fuel reserves are too small for much of Europe (too few airports with avgas, especially ones which are not absolute dumps).

The times it has happened, which happened to coincide with the occassions when I posted the tracking link here were when the headwind was massively under-forecast (by at least 20kt).

I then used the flow totaliser to continue the flight, while watching possible diversions for a fuel stop, with you guys posting comments on me getting blisters on my bum

Otherwise, in “normal” weather conditions, one could probably do UK to Greece (of course I mean Lydd EGMD to Corfu LGKR ) in 7hrs and a bit…

The other commonly quoted limiting factor (needing a pee) is IMHO a hugely dangerous game to be playing because you can never know for sure you won’t need to pee urgently, so a good workable provision must be made on every flight. And even if you know, you have no idea how much a passenger has drunk just before a flight.

Also I always refuel, unless the next flight is really trivial. So I would fill up after even say 3hrs. The weight has little effect on the MPG.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@JJBeall, did you buy an aircraft?

ESSZ, Sweden

Hi Fly310,

No, actually I ended up selling my Archer so I could take up an expat position overseas with an oil and gas company. I’ve recently moved back but haven’t purchased another aircraft yet due to a house purchase and renovation!

Regards, -Jason

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

@JJBeall

but haven’t purchased another aircraft yet due to a house purchase and renovation!

Bad choice, the house won’t fly. ;-)

But anyway, if you will come back to your purchase plans, I can recommend the Bonanza, but with Tip Tanks. Once I will add them to mine to increase the range. Without it’s around 600 nm, calculated very conservative, full power, leaned ROP FL 90.

EDDS , Germany

@JJBeall, roger! I hope that you will get back to the idea of aircraft ownership and that you find something that suits your needs. :)

ESSZ, Sweden
Sign in to add your message