Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rotterdam EHRD - good news regarding handling...

Rotterdam EHRD was almost inaccessible for visiting GA aircraft due to the compulsatory, expensive handling.
This has been changed now. As of Monday 20 October 2014, the Aeroclub can take care of your handling and you no longer have to use KLM JetCenter or AviaPartner.

There are some restrictions:

• Only for light GA traffic with a recreational and/or private purpose.
  • Only for light aircraft with: Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW) <= 2000 kg and Wing span <= 13,50 metres (taxiway limitation)

It’s still not cheap. Handling cost 30EUR, landing 29,52EUR, and parking 16,46EUR for an aircraft with 1001-2000kg MTOW.
But at least you’ll get a full service airport, full IFR with ILS’es on both sides of the runway, car rental, public transport facilities, etc.

More details on the website here: vliegclubrotterdam
Handling request form

Handling cost 30EUR

Niiice.
Neat little extra source of income for the aeroclub. What are they going to do for the 30 Euros? Open a door?

From the NL AIP:
“For security reasons Rotterdam Airport is PPR for all general aviation that does not have its homebase on the aerodrome. Permission for visiting aircraft is only granted in case of confirmed handling from one of the handling partners: Vliegclub Rotterdam, KLM JetCenter or AviaPartner.”

Oh, I love these phrases…
Anyway, not the fault of the aeroclub.

However:

Handling Requests need to be submitted the day before the planned inbound flight, before 1500 UTC, to allow us to process your request and provide you with a timely confirmation.

Are they serious?

P.S. Just saw this: 35 Euros extra per passenger?!?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Oct 14:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
<= 13,50 metres (taxiway limitation)

Malibu should just about fit with few cm to spare, about 16cm each side?

Neat little extra source of income for the aeroclub. What are they going to do for the 30 Euros? Open a door?

I doubt it. They need to pick you up from the aircraft, take you to security, etc.

It’s not the aeroclub to blame… Everything at EHRD is ridiculous expensive and they now offer a cheaper way to use the airport, which I think is a good thing, even though it is still not ideal.

P.S. Just saw this: 35 Euros extra per passenger?!?

PIC + 1st PAX are for free (I think they will register the 1st PAX as a co-pilot?).
It is the airport that put this PAX charge, not the aeroclub. See the EHRD rates

I doubt it. They need to pick you up from the aircraft, take you to security, etc.

Are you saying they use a bus, on their own aeroclub apron??? Or are you saying that pilots and their crew need to go to the security at the main terminal? For what reason?

From a GA “handling agent” I expect them to operate an entrance/exit to the airside. Otherwise, they are just the transporting agent…

Just interested how that place works…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Oct 15:27
Are you saying they use a bus, on their own aeroclub apron??? Or are you saying that pilots and their crew need to go to the security at the main terminal? For what reason?

I’ve send them a message to ask what “handling” covers…

If you think Eur 30 is expensive, try the Jet Center!

You would be parked at the aeroclub apron which is literally next to the aeroclub building. The aeroclub has its own access to the apron, so no need to go to security – security is handled by the aeroclub under an agreement with the airport. And no, there are no metal detectors or anything involved. But you’ve got to bring your passport, even for flights within Dutch airspace.

For flights outside the Schengen area you may need to pay a visit to Immigration first, which is located next to the main terminal – about a 10 minute walk and you only need to bring your passport, not your baggage. The aeroclub can advise.

There is a Piper Malibu/Mirage (PH-LUX) parked at the aeroclub apron, and that’s about the maximum size aircraft you can get in there. I have personally taxied a GA-8 (wingspan 12.28m) to the aeroclub and back many times with no problems. But you’ve got to follow the yellow line strictly, and keep a good lookout for badly parked aircraft – they are parked next to taxiway Lima and if they’re not quite properly parked yet, you may clip them. It’s happened a few times already.

You would be parked at the aeroclub apron which is literally next to the aeroclub building. The aeroclub has its own access to the apron, so no need to go to security – security is handled by the aeroclub under an agreement with the airport.

Thanks BackPacker. So no bus transports required. And probably no additional personell. I really think that under such circumstances, an aeroclub(!) should not charge an additional 30€, but see it as a contribution to general aviation to offer handling to visitors. Many places in the UK do it like this and no handling charge whatsoever apply (there are exeptions to this – Bristol comes to mind).

But maybe there is some reason (not a fake one, but a real one) for this charge. Awaiting their reply (thanks lenthamen).

What would also be interesting is why they need a day of advance notice in order to “approve” (!) the handling request…

@ bookworm: that was not the point…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Oct 19:48

Well, I can’t comment on the price other than that the friendly staff needs to get paid too.

And Rotterdam is an international airport with security charges and everything. Even though the aeroclub can provide your handling, there is coordination required with the airport and ATC. And I think some of your 30 euros goes straight to the airport anyway.

But if you’re not happy with the arrangements, you can always try one of the other handling partners: KLM JetCenter or AviaPartner. Or you can become a member and let your voice be heard at the ACM. (But both options are a lot more expensive than 30 euros… ;-) )

34 Posts
Sign in to add your message